Monday, April 10, 2023

Homecoming

 Animals and cars:

 I have had cat paw prints on my car, but this is ridiculous. LOL




For today:

To a kid growing up in the church world the word ‘Homecoming’ had ONE meaning, Food! Banana Pudding! That Sunday afternoon was a fun time. Just after church families would put the dinners they had brought on long tables. The men would set up the small barrels with spigots for the sweet tea and lemonade.

While that was going on us kids played chase, tag, hide and seek, etc, then someone would ring a bell or yell that it was time to eat. The Pastor would offer the blessing and everyone would start looking over the food and picking their favorites, it was a fun time for me.

Never once did I hear anyone explain what the word homecoming actually meant.  Now I know it was a time for folks that had moved away, or drifted from the church to return for a time of reuniting, food and fellowship.

Family picture on one Utah trip.

 

That is Ben and his daughter Elsie on the left end. Elsie lives with her mom. Ben says he will fly her out in the summers like he came as a kid.  All the way on the right is Stephen and Jennifer who are moving back in from Tennessee.  We have had six or more great grands added since this pic.

This week and the next few will have the real meaning of homecoming to our family. For 30+ years we have had a grandson, Benjamin Aaron, living in the Clearfield area of Utah. Since his childhood he has spent time in NC in the Summer. For the past 4 years we have had a Grandson Stephen and family living in Oak Ridge, TN. WELL the Lord has smiled on us they are moving back to NC to live.

Ben is already back, what a reunion. He is our oldest Grand.  Son Jack Jr is his dad. Sadly Jack and his wife Carol divorced when Ben was a child so he has been in Utah most of his life. We have had a good relationship with Carol and her family and enjoyed many visits out that way.

Anyway, we are enjoying Ben being in the area. We try to get him here every evening for dinner. In addition sons Jack jr and Mark are here at our place in NC, we have a house full and it has been enjoyable. Mark is remodeling his NC house and has his sons, Luke and Matthew, working with him. They all seem to be having a great time working together.

I guess this is a real ‘Homecoming,’ at least it is to us.

      ;-)

Nite Shipslog

PS:

7 comments:

salemslot9 said...

Banana pudding.
Another favorite my Mom made
with banana slices & Nilla wafers. 🍌🍌🍌

Mevely317 said...

I've never heard the term Homecoming used to describe church dinners, but it sounds so wholesome and refreshing. No-one's nose in their cell phone.
Thanks for this update on Ben; Mark, too. I know you're mighty happy to have Ben back in the fold after so many years. Heartwarming!

Anonymous said...

I miss homecomings at my church. We haven't done one in years. I always enjoyed seeing people I haven't seen in a while and the guest pastor is usually a former one. And yes then there is the food!!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Oh crap I see I'm anonymous

Chatty Crone said...

I think that is a wonderful Homecoming - that is what it has always meant to me anyway. I love the two grandsons are coming 'home'.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a happy time to have, with your grandson there. It is very hard when they live so far away. I have some I haven't seen for years. Divorce is so hard on families. No one realizes it effects the whole family. Happy Homecoming to you and yours. Enjoy the time together !

yaya said...

When I hear the word "homecoming" I always think of family. It's great yours is coming closer although I'm never sure if your home is NC or Florida! Have a great time with everyone!