For today:
I have enjoyed most phases of my life. My sweetheart has followed me and never complained, whether I asked her to live in a rebuilt chicken coop, a 27' trailer, a house with no indoor bath or toilet or a nice home with an indoor pool. LOL
Once I learned I enjoyed story telling. I fell in love with that too. LOL For many years Sherry and I traveled entertaining kids. Most of that was at Boy Scouts, churches, camps, and individuals.
WE did that from key West to Canada. Even a week in NYC and a couple times in Cuba.
I was a magician some nights, chalk artist or ventriloquist others.
Once a Youth Director called me needing a week, 4 classes a day, but I have no money left. I laughed, can I at least use your Zerox machine? Remember them?
Of course, so I wrote my first book, 7 page. It was 1965 and the dance "The Twist" was big. I titled the book "Never Twist" and on the first page I put.......THE TRUTH. The book did very well.
AT least 40 years later a lady walked up to me and asked, "Are you Jack Darnell?" I answered something like, 'Does he owe you money also?'
She laughed big and said, "You must be him, you will never change. I just wondered if you have a copy of 'Never Twist?'"
I had to think for a minute, then realized what she was talking about. WE talked. She asked would you like a copy? YES!
She gave me her copy saying 'that was one of the best experiences of my childhood. I want you to have it and Thank You for a great time; all the girls in my group loved your classes.'
I had the back page for their friends to sign.
Enough of my stuff, I found this going thru an old box I had not unpacked yet. It was fun.
Nite Shipslog




2 comments:
What a truly wonderful story and a great reminder of that week back in 1965. One wonders where those people are today and what they made of their lives. Certainly your week teaching them was a good start. I like so much what you wrote on the first page of your book.
God bless you and your family.
Oh wow, what a great memory! And what a neat ministry that was to youth and children! Amazing that someone came around 40 years later and remembered you and gave you such a treasure! That is truly special!! Yes, those are the kinds of things I hate to get rid of. People say, "downsize, minimalize, etc." but when you have such special memories tucked in boxes and drawers and places that only you know and remember...well, some things are just meant to be saved. Thank you for this story. It was great.
Post a Comment