Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Hearing bells, I thought everyone heard them!

I have had a ringing in my head for as long as I can remember. My earliest memories was on a ship in a quiet compartment, and laying awake listening to the scream, whistle or ringing.  It is hard to say when it started, but it was young.  I thought everyone heard the ringing.

Of course since getting older I learned about Tinnitus. Once a young lady was working on her Doctorate and interviewed me. She asked one question that I had never thought of, “Does the sounds increase after taking an aspirin?” I answered, NO.  I should have paid attention. I did later. I took an aspirin and YES the noises did increase.

All my life (as many of you) I have heard of wild tales that, “The voices in my head told me to do it.”

Now I am here to tell you, that is possible. I am ‘fairly’ sane and reasonably intelligent (Except in the laws and rules of the English language), and I can ‘almost’ understand what the voices say. The noises in my head are not just ringing or squeals, but some roaring noises, some static noises and some garbled noises.

I know the brain has a recording device. I wonder sometimes if something overrides controls and I can ‘almost’ understand a previous conversation.

I don’t mean to sound weird (but I probably do), I sometime concentrate on the noises. My brain compares the thinking about the noises like laying on your back and observing clouds and seeing forms in them. “Look, there is a dog!” (etc).  I have never actually heard a ‘word’ but it is like a person murmuring, you can ‘almost’ make it out.

My brain at times invents a new sound for my listening enjoyment. For the past year or so, it has been the sound of a good hollow sounding gutted muffler on a flathead Ford V8 as it accelerated from a stop. “Rumph, RUMPH    rrrrrrrrrrrrrr umph,” that is as close as I can get it, the end fades into the distance.

As I sit here and type, I only hear the ringing. I have no idea what keys the word sounds to start, but something does.  Yes I do listen, but I haven’t figured a word yet.

But maybe some of the weirdo’s that have blamed their actions on the voices in their heads, concentrated hard enough to read something into the sounds.

Thanks for reading the WEIRD post.
Nite Shipslog

PS:

One never really knows, does one? (My oldest brothers favorite statement in explaining the weird.)

********************************************************

Hey, we are having future cars, nothing can stop that:

future BMS water filled

BMW of the future Hybred…

1955-bel-air-210-2-door-sedan_5xhv5

Yes, it is not smart, but if I had a choice between these two, I would take the 2DR ‘55 with a post.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only occasionally get a high-pitched whine in my ear. It usually doesn't last very long, a few to several seconds. I think it would be difficult to deal with constant noise in my ear.
Jack, I think the people who "hear voices" have a different source for their sound. It's not just in their ears. ;-)
If you ever do get a clear voice out of all those noises, let us know. It might be interesting.

bonnie

Chatty Crone said...

Well if you hear voices - just don't answer them. sandie

Paula said...

John says he has ringing in his ears all time. I guess you get used to it but I think it would drive me crazy.

Anonymous said...

interesting to learn about tinnitus from someone who has the condition...I hear/feel sounds in my head...I can always tell when I'm coming down with a head cold or some types of flu...the roaring sounds start...rarely anything as distinct as bells ringing or almost words...I did have an occasion in Arizona when I think I was possessed by the Native American gods of a scared mountain...for several weeks when I was near that mountain I heard bells ringing, no kidding...I was kinda sad when it stopped. My ear issues probably started when I had measles as a toddler, then later on I had several severe ear aches...it was back in the days of home treatment and seldom a visit to the doctor. Thanks for sharing Jack!!

shirl72 said...

Well I'm sure it is difficult to
deal with loss of hearing. We
alway said Mother could hear a
pin drop on carpet. So far my hearing is good. Dad's was getting
a little bad. You handle the loss
well I wish your hearing was back.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've had that ringing in my ears for a long time. I can still hear, but sometimes I think my ears are not as good as they once were. The other noises you are hearing haven't happened yet anyway.

Jackie said...

I have this continuous 'zzzzzzzz' noise in my ears. Can't explain it to anyone because it's hard to describe, but I understand what you are saying completely....

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» is with you, Jack! He'll take the '55 Chevy over the Bimmer!

When «Louis» started hearing the ringing in his ears, he was afraid his ex-wife was right about him being a real ding-a-ling...

Helen said...

I hear a constant ringing or buzzing in my ears most of the time.