Sunday, April 21, 2013

We are having a FIT! also Continental kits.

Okay,maybe that should be worded, we now have a Fit, a Honda Fit. As most folks who read this BLOG know, we live full time in our motor home on the road. Over the years we have towed different vehicles. In RV’er language, that is a Toad. We have had an S-10, Saturn, a ‘95 Odyssey and a 2004 Odyssey.

FIT 003

The fit is a small light car and we are hoping the motor home will get at least 1 more mile to the gallon of diesel. LOL

There are two ways to tow, all four wheels on the ground or use a tow dolly. WE prefer to have 4 on the ground, it is much simpler to hook up.

FIT 004

(This shot shows the size difference)

RV’ers are limited to the # of cars available that can be towed without installing a pump for the automatic transmission or a drive shaft disconnect. Fortunately the FIT tows without physical restrictions.

FIT 005

This is a 2011 car, and for us, that is almost new. I like it because Sherry sits very close and we can converse, it is near impossible for me to communicate in a vehicle.

We once owned a Corvair, I loved the way it handled.  As I drive the little Fit I get the same feeling, it handles well.

Now my job, taking the front off the Fit and installing the tow plate then re installing the front, so it can be towed.

Thanks for reading our up date.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

It is tough being as good as you think you are.

******************************************************

image020

At first glance I thought ‘57 Mercury, I am not sure but I sure remember the Continental Kit. I am sure this was the biggest and awkward of all the continental kits.

1951FordCustomSunliner-b3

Two more continental kits, popular in the 1950’s.

1954_Mercury_Sun_Valley_blue-e

16 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I am glad you were able to get something better for your purposes - did you sell the other one? This sounds like the best idea! sandie

Glenda said...

that car is darn cute! Knowing you always pick the classics will have to go looking at Consumer Reports on the FIT. Soon will be turning over 170,000 miles on my car and another (smaller) vehicle in the cards. Sounds like you have a bit of a job switching things out, got any boys around to help ole Dad?

Anonymous said...

Always a safe road ahead; and a good new week for you all as well.

TARYTERRE said...

The FIT looks like a sweet vehicle. Glad you found something you liked.

shirl72 said...

I wonder how they decided to name
of the car FIT. It is a pretty car.

Do you remember Uncle Hershel had
a Chrysler with a Continental Kit.
It may have been in the 40's I
remember it was a big, new and white. I guess I will keep driving my CRV for now I see new ones I like. hee hee

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It looks like your FIT will fit your lifestyle quite well. Best wishes on getting it all done and ready to travel. Sounds like a lot of work to me. But then I don't know a thing about cars.

Paula said...

Thanks for telling us more about you traveling chores. Cute FIT!

Ken Riches said...

Looks like a great choice.

~mel said...

Hey ~ whatever it takes to get that extra mile per gallon!

Anonymous said...

love the FIT you're having...very nice...and that one more mile to the gallon makes a big difference :)

Lucy said...

Interesting explanation about the cars and motor homes.

Lucy said...

Interesting explanation about the car and towing it.

Jackie said...

Didn't know there were only two ways to tow.
Love the new car and am happy that you and Sherry can converse better in it.
Hugs to you both!
J.

Anonymous said...

Corvair~I've heard many men wax poetic about it. ~Mary

Louis la Vache said...

Jack, that is a '57 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser. That roofline is what the roof of the '57 Packards would have had if Packard had not closed. James Nance, who was running Packard landed at Lincoln-Mercury (Henry Ford made room for him) and Nance brought that roofline with him. The Breezeway window Mercury later used was also planned for the '57 Packards.

Dar said...

Isn't that the cutest wee thing. Perfect for your travels. Just one ?
is it like one of those Flinstonemobiles that you have to pick up and run with? LOL
HaPPy TraiLs To yoU