Thursday, September 24, 2020

‘Sorry I cannot help you!’ AND “Sorry, we cannot help you!”

 Early Service Stations:

 

Shell Stations of the 50s

For today:

Ask most men, including truckers, “Who makes the best diesel engine?” I think 90% would say Cummins.

 

I have owned diesel tractors and a back-hoe. I even owned one diesel work truck.  We bought a Motor Coach once with a GM Diesel. The last one, we still have is pushed by a Cummins engine. The Other diesels were good, but did not have the power of the Cummins.

 

Any man (and some women) will tell you that a diesel should go up to 300K-500K miles with no problems. That is true.  However there are exceptions. I have built houses that cost less than this Cummins has cost us in the last 3 yrs.  Now after two breakdowns on our last 7000mi trip we have a broken engine fan.  No problem, there is a big Cummins place in Ocala. I will go over and get the parts needed to fix the fan.

 

Above is the big diesel showing the fan.  Below is the other fan blade missing you cannot see above.
(If you have a mechanic in your house, please ask him if the two blades missing could make the entire coach vibrate?  I really want t know, thanks.)

First place in Ocala was Cummins. I walked in, all smiles under my mask. I stated my problems. I held all the information I KNEW the parts man would need. He looked at me and said, “Sorry, I cannot help you. That fan is not Cummins your Motorhome manufacturer furnishes that. I was floored. I asked if it was big job?  He said, “You are talking megabucks, $2-$3K labor alone. I understand Lazy Days RV in Wildwood can get the part & install it for you. They will have to remove the radiator,  that alone is $2k.  Sorry.”

 

We are familiar with Lazy Days, The biggest RV dealers in the South. Repair/parts Rep comes out all smiles. I explained my problem, “Sorry we cannot help you. We might get the part, no guarantee, but we will not install it.”

 

I am not ignorant, I know it can be done. So the ball is back in my court. I try to think, if someone else can do it, why can’t I? I have a few months on my hands, why not.

 

I do not like hearing, “Sorry, but I can’t help you.”

                               Nite Shipslog

8 comments:

betty said...

Can't believe they would be turning away business. Seems like they would bend over to help any way they can!

betty

Lisa said...

I do have a mechanic in the house and he said yes, the broken fan would make a vibration. Hope you can get it fixed. I have no doubt you can do it yourself. No one knows your home like you. Haha.

Charlotte bound
Lisa

Susie said...

Yikes, for crying out loud. Stuff like that makes me pull my hair out. Get on line and watch you tubes...maybe with some luck, which you seem to be short on, you will find a video of how to fix that. Sending good thoughts your way . Get your boys over to help you if you tackle it yourself. Blessings to you and Sherry, xoxo, Susie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Oh so sorry they can't or won't fix it for you. That doesn't make sense. Why on earth would someone make something that cannot be fixed. Hopefully you'll find a way to do it or find someone else who can. I cannot imagine just having to junk it. If that's what they are saying. It would be your only other alternative. Ugh!

Mevely317 said...

Aaaargh! We're shaking our heads over here in disbelief. "Sorry" they say? Doesn't sound like it. Well, you may not have much recourse ... but I hope they realize, all the advertising in the word doesn't hold a candle to the power of word of mouth.

yaya said...

I have 2 words... Youtube.. wait, that's one word. Whatever. Good luck!

Woody said...

Man oh Man, What a problem, I am sure you can Google a You Tube Video on replacement, My Neighbor works at a Dealership, He said yes the missing Fan Blades would make the Coach Vibrate. Such a Shame they would not offer to help you ! Good Luck on the repair, you have a lot of time to work and study it ! Take Care, Sending down Love and Prayers for a uncomplicated Repair ! Gary an Anna Mae

Dar said...

Last I recall, you are one great ' handyman~!' Bill loves watching instruction videos on things he has to replace and/or repair. You Tube is the place to go. Maybe they can help. When you tackle such a big job, take your time and maybe the boys can help. Go for it Jack, you're a smart cookie and I'm sure it won't take you all winter.
loven'hugs from up north where the heat lightening in the northern sky tonight is out of this world ' mesmorizing~! '