Friday, August 6, 2021

Old Age or aging well?

Transportation from another era:

(Picture from the net)
Sherry & I can remember the last horse and wagon in our town. Mr. Robinson made his living with that horse and wagon, I still do not know what he did.

For today:

Remember that old statement, “Don’t judge someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes.”

By the time one can actually walk in an old person’s shoes, they are there. LOL

The one true statement about humans is that we are ALL individuals. The mold was broken when you were born. So we are all different. What works for one may not work for another; I firmly believe that.

When I smoked and someone told me it was going to kill me, I could point out men in their 90s who smoked a pack a day. Salt will kill you?  My best friend ate salt by the hands full. He loved salt sandwiches, believe it or not. I had never heard of that until I met him. When we drove across the great Salt Flats in Utah, he stood on miles of salt, with hands full of salt and said, “Finally enough!”

Sonny lived into his 80s, would he have lived longer w/o salt? Who knows? But I do know that some folks who cut way down on salt and have died much earlier.

Now, the good news. Do you believe tests that give your relative age? I never gave them much thought nor credence.  The other day the VA asked me to take a test. That sucker was an hour long.  When my answers were analyzed, the system said I was equal to a 78 year old. I am 82, so that actually made me feel good......., HEY WAIT a minute, 78 is still OLD!!!  LOL

One of the questions asked how many hours I spent in front of the TV.  I do not watch TV so I used the 4 hours I am in front of this monitor.

After the analysis was done, I was given a chance to change some #s to see if it would make a difference. So I said next year I will only spend 2 hours a day sitting. After analyzing the latest info, I would still be equal to a 78 yr old, so I guess I will continue ordering from Amazon/Ebay and Blogging next year.  LOL

I do believe we should stretch and exercise daily. I also think it is good to cut down on fat.  I am sure that quitting smoking was good for me.

However I can remember when a job would become stressful that cigarette sure calmed me down (remember that?). That is how I justified smoking until I was 58, smoking was better than using a nerve pill, wasn’t it?  I still don't know!

I am pretty cheap. I remember saying when smokes go to 30 cents a pack I was quitting, but I didn’t! I did quit at 40 cents

So my friends, eat right (?), stretch, exercise and think positive. I hope you live long and WELL!

  Nite Shipslog

PS:  Victor said something like: By the time you walk a mile in someone’s shoes they will know you stole ‘em, just a guess, LOL!

8 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Great minds think alike - I wonder things like this too. No answers.

betty said...

The Bible says it the best I think. Do things in moderation. But I agree with your advice Jack. We all need to take heed of it and do it more I do believe.

Betty

Unknown said...

Everything in moderation I think. Not too much, not too little. A little exercise each day, decent food, lots of water, and a good outlook on life. Also, you definitely did the right thing by quitting smoking. That is one bad habit. I would say all in all you look pretty darn good for 82.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Congratulations on your test result. I think you are much younger than 82, or 78 even. You do things that I feel tired just thinking about.

You are right about walking in someone else's shoes ... I know walk in their sandals instead!

Long may you Blog, my friend. I have learnt so much from you.

God bless you and Sherry.

Mevely317 said...

All good advice, Jack!
Did you know you were going to be given that analysis (test) ahead of time? A couple of months back we were told (that) next March Tom's care is being transferred to the geriatric team. (He'll be 80 in February) I wonder if he won't have to sit for a similar analysis.

Heck, I'd love to take one of those. Pretty sure they'd guess my age 10 years older than I am ...

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I think you live a good life for sure and what ever you are doing seems to be working well. I am 78 and yes, that is still old, but we must remember today is the youngest we're ever going to be. We all get older in different ways and some are healthier than I am, but I'm still on the right side of the grass and thankful for each new day !

Dar said...

You and Sherry are so fit, it's not surprising we all think of you as much younger your years. What did surprise me was the fact that you were a smoker. I suppose you picked that up in the military rather than behind the barn like one of my sisters and my twin. When my Dad had his 1st heart attack, he was told he could add many yrs. to his life if he quit smoking. He did. He lived a good long life to 80 but with a damaged heart and lungs. You give great advise. I need to loose lots of middle ground and I'd feel better. I do exercise at least.
loven'hugs from our great northwoods where we finally got a tiny bit of rain...barely enough to make a frog's day

My Tata's Cottage said...

Oh Victor, his humor slays me. HaHaHa... our oldest girl smokes and she will be 46 in 4 months. I read that smoker will be offered lung scans. My SIL said I can not tell her. She will only smoke more. sigh....I am glad I gave it up in my 20's. Avery, my husband has low sodium so they like him to salt up. I have a VP Shunt in my head so I have to go easy or the headaches are murder. He has low potassium too so we have bananas like monkeys all the time. Getting older is hard, it ain't for sissies and I Just have learned to thank God for each day we live. We can not change anything. My friend Bea is 91. She still walks everywhere nearby for shoppping and some meals. She is such a sweetheart. They have good genes, her older sis is 93.
If this heat and air pollution goes away very soon I can start walking again. I miss the indoor malls, at least you could walk in conformt. I try to do some stretching and such . It is better to be loose than stiff.
Enjoy your week! Take care.