Monday, August 2, 2021

What do you think?

 Memorable Automobiles from The Past:

 1962 Aston Martin

For today:

There are times it is not wise to be frank with someone. You have heard the short story of the slightly over weight wife who puts on a new dress and turns to ask her husband, “Does this dress make me look fat?” ......... He must weigh his answer.

If you have a boss that you KNOW ‘expects’ a ‘Yes Man’, and you are asked to go over a proposal of his. After reading it you KNOW enacting this proposal at this time, will absolutely NOT WORK, you are put in a very awkward position to say the least.

Concerning my desire to hike the AT.

Some people who know me will say ‘GO FOR IT!’

A few say, remember you are in your 80s now, it MIGHT be time to settle down. (Not wanting to hurt my feelings)

NOTE: Most of us like ‘YES-people’ especially when we have what WE KNOW (THINK) is a great idea.

Others ask, “What would you do if you fall, or worse?”


Note her pack, now you  know how good that water felt!
Since our friends know we have hiked most of the AT have asked: Is it dangerous? Do hikers carry weapons? What about bears?

Dangers:

I have heard the best place to have a heart attack is on the golf course, there is usually a Doctor around. ;-)  Well on the AT many times there is a nurse around (within 30 miles or a day or two) Lots of nurses and some doctors hike the trail.

WE KNOW of a lady who fell and broke her hip. She was in a hospital within 24 hours. Another with frost-bite and the same lady later with a sprained ankle, both times she was in a hospital in less than 24 hours.

Once I found a tick in my privates. I developed the symptoms and worried about ‘Lyme Disease’. I went to an emergency room in N. Adams, Massachusetts and was seen within 3 minutes (that was a shocker I would have waited at least 2 hours down south.) I did not have Lyme.

So medical help is NOT a BIG problem. Usually there is a highway, path, fire road, park road or country road every 10-20 miles EXCEPT the last 100 miles, called the 100 mile wilderness.

About bears: WE saw only 2 bears in nearly 1900 miles. We met one kid in the Smokies who had a tug-of-war with a bear about his pack, he lost but no injuries. He said the bear just drug the pack about 50 feet from him and destroyed it. The bear ate all his food and meds (Ibuprophen etc) then walked off. Other hikers shared their food and He walked to  a main road and replenished.

About weapons, I have never 'known' a hiker with a fire arm. No one wants the extra 2 pounds or so. Some carry ‘pepper spray’ and MOST have a knife of some kind.

About me ‘n the 2190 mile hike on the AT. I have very little worry about my safety, it is my physical stamina.

Shipslog

PS:  My last experiment has my pack down to less than 25 pounds. I HOPE to make it lighter. (I can always hope!)

10 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

So you are going to give it another try? Good for you.

Mevely317 said...

Thanks for answering these questions, Jack!
What do I think? Methinks you're a far stronger person than me. Listen to your heart.

Mevely317 said...

PS - Did you get my e-mail about the RVs?

betty said...

That is good to hear medical help is easily available on the trail except for that 100 mile stretch. Not sure I would be happy with any bear encounter lol. I think you will make the right decision for you and hiking the AT. like I said before,you do a lot of thinking and evaluating before coming to a decision.

Betty

Victor S E Moubarak said...

You're very brave and courageous. Well done.

God bless you and yours.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

An inspiration to us all.

God bless.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I think it's always good to have a dream and set new goals to follow. You have had some wonderful times and hope you have many more coming your way !

Lisa said...

I do not think you will be satisfied until you do it again. I say go for it!
Take a little fire cracker and if a bear approaches you, just lite it and throw it at him and he will run away.
(Heard that from a girl that fights off bears at her home in the mountains.)

Lisa

Dar said...

It's good to read that there can be help within a relatively short time. The thing is, when in pain from, say a nasty fall, a short span of time can seem daunting. You have such a good head on your shoulders and you will cross that bridge when and if you come to it, should you attempt another go at the AT. If you do, you will have my prayers for safe travels, as usual.
loven'hugs from up north in our hazy smoke sky causing all kinds of issues for this allergy ridden gal....stay safe.

Rosie said...

If I was as fit and healthy as you are would give it a go too. All the best.