Sunday, August 1, 2021

Divorce and flea colars

 That 1938 Bugatti!

For Today:

Well it finally happened my Feral Cats and Kitties have divorced me.  For a long time I left a crawl space under the garage door for in and out travel at night, mostly for mama cat. Then For some time they were content to stay in an enclosed basement over night.

HOWEVER,,,,,After the coons started coming in and wandering around I agreed to furnish litter boxes and close the door. That worked for weeks, BUT some wanted to stay out late and 'mess around.'  So, I set a curfew, door closed at 9PM that worked for a week with some out some in. NOW 

all of them refuse to come in the basement afraid they will be locked inside. I have a feeding dish just inside the door and even during the day they refuse to come the one foot inside. So we are divorced, with only a few visits for a petting or two during the day.

Also I am not sure flea collars work. I haven't noticed ANY change, Also petting them we have carried some fleas to out upstairs. I vacuumed the entire house and picked up 100's of fleas. I thought I would be cool and kill them in the bag so I sprayed flea/insect killer on the carpet and vacuumed it. I set it set awhile and it had killed only a few of them, they must be tougher than the ones on my dogs. LOL

I have some CAT/FLEA spray I ordered. OUCH just one spay about got me scratched to pieces. LOL  I'm there must be a better way to do this. LOL  If it were dogs I would give them a good bath, can you wash a feral cat?????  How would you hold them?

I'm still thinking, but they (and we) do need some flea protection. ;-(

Nite Shipslog

PS:

8 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Oh gosh Jack - I don't know about fleas, but good luck!

betty said...

I know for dogs you can get flea medicine from the vet, but not sure about cats. That is a lot of fleas you are dealing with. Winslow, thankfully doesn't have fleas, but Koda did. We got some medicine from the vet that helped. I don't think cats are fond of baths.

Betty

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I scratched my head but could not come up with a solution to your flea problem.

Best wishes. God bless.

Lisa said...

Sorry Jack, I have nothing.
Cats clean their own fur so whatever is used on them can’t be toxic. I would call the vet and ask them. You may also need someone come out and spray your yard or they will just keep getting back on the cats.

Lisa

Mevely317 said...

Like Lisa, I'm stumped! Do y'all have a County Extension Agent you might call? That was my mother's 'go-to' for free advice when she'd have an issue (eg, weevils).

Please let us know! 🥰

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Sorry about the divorce and the fleas they are terrible pst and so hard to get rid of. Netther one is easy for sure. Hope they begin to trust you more and come back inside, flealess of course.

Dar said...

Time to divorce the kitties for good....fleas are so hard to deter. Let the cats come outside for a petting but not into the house or basement. The fleas really are horrible to get rid of unless your cats don't mind a collar. As for bathing cats, good luck. You'll surely get scratched or even bitten. Cats do not like getting wet. Good luck folks.
loven'hugs from up north where it's been so hot and now the Canadian fires have drifted smoke over us with quite the haze. It's created quite the problems for us with allergies and asthma. Can't breathe.

Sheila Y said...

Well, if you start them out early you can bath a cat. Cori gave Sam baths when she got him and Mama gave him baths too. You can get tubes that you squeeze on the back of the neck near the head for fleas. They can’t reach that spot to lick. A vet would probably put it on for you.
Take care, Sheila