Sunday, August 21, 2022

The Pony Express, I know you have heard of it...

 Auto Photo:

 





(Okay so that was just early transportation…. LOL  Not an auto.)

 

For today:

Being a cowboy at heart since those Saturday morning Roy, Gene, Lash Larue, Cisco Kid etc, movies I used to sneak off to. The movies were a sin, but they were so good, I knew the Lord would forgive me….

We passed thru St. Joseph in 2010 and did take time to learn more and visit the Pony Express Museum. I had a ball.  Here is a short overall blurb:

The Pony Express route was nearly 2,000 miles (3,200 km) long overland, had about 190 stations (mostly in Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, and Nevada), and required about 10 days to cover. Each rider generally rode 75 to 100 miles (120 to 160 km) and changed horses every 10 to 15 miles (16 to 24 km).

I had no idea that the life span of the Express was so short lived. They went bankrupt after about a year and a half.  You can imagine the cost to deliver mail over 2,000 miles by pony had some HIGH overhead.

I was pleased and yes amazed at the oath the riders took to risk their lives delivering ‘fast mail’. Check this out:

Two of the most famous riders were Buffalo Bill Cody and Robert (Pony Bob) Haslam.  One thing that killed the Pony Express was the Telegraph that developed and crossed the country for FAST communications.

That was on my mind today. (It is sweet when the Grands drop by and bring the great grands) Thanks to Sherece and Matt, We had a visit by Stella and Maverick, greatgrands that really liked the apartment. They enjoyed the kitties and trains, but they both would have made good Pony Express riders….. LOL..

Nite Shipslog

6 comments:

betty said...

I'm thinking Stella and Maverick were very fast and active and that's why they would have been good Pony Express riders! I didn't realize the Pony Express was only around for a short period of time. Glad the horses got changed out so often! I bet they needed the rest!

betty

Victor S E Moubarak said...

What a wonderful history lesson today. Thanx Jack. A story to share with the young family when they visit you.


God bless.

Mevely317 said...

As a little girl, I was fascinated by stories of the pony express. I knew precious little, however, and still wouldn't before reading your post. Wow.

We never made time to attend, but Scottsdale has/had(?) an annual festival recreating the original Pony Express -- it's a 200-mi. ride and riders actually carry first-class mail. Here's a link if you're interested.
https://paysonrimcountry.com/hashknife-pony-express/

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Oh yes, those little ones can move quick. Glad you are getting to enjoy them. Don't we wish we had half their energy!

Susie said...

Jack, I am always saying...gee zoo, pony express would be faster!! Once my sister received two letters I wrote her in the same day, one was the from the day before and one was from the week before. What the heck? Telegraph was the internet LOL. If the internet is so good and fast why does a payment take almost a month at times to get thru. I swear I could walk to the next state and hand deliver my payment faster. Hahaha, that is what, I as an older person, tell my kids. Getting to see our little ones and maybe even getting hugs is like medicine. We need it . Blessings, xoxo, Susie

yaya said...

Sometimes delivery these days makes me wish for a pony express! I still enjoy getting snail male...nothing like the surprise of a handwritten letter or a pretty card. I like their pledge..many businesses today could use some of those terms! Especially the bad language. I'm amazed at the foul mouths that some of my nurse coworkers sport.