Saturday, March 30, 2024

Changes in life, you cannot avoid them, try to enjoy them

  A picture from the Past.

 2nd row from the top 2nd sweetie from the right.  Yeah she has always been cute!  I think she had a crush on the teacher..

Sherry's first man teacher, Mr. Bolick, 7th grade.

For Today:

You TYPISTS remember typing documents with multiple carbon copies.  REMEMBER fixing a mistake or adding a change someone thought of AFTER you typed.  Man oh Man word processing is an answer to prayer.. LOL



Once at a Real Estate closing, the contract had a small error in it. The attorney had her secretary change it and printed a corrected one and 6 copies. It took less than 3 minutes.  There was a time the entire contract had to be retyped because corrections were not allowed on contracts.


I mentioned diapers and washing in a previous entry. I was born/raised when mama washed with a washboard and heated water in the black pot in the back yard..


She was so relieved when daddy got her a ‘wringer washing machine.’ I was about 4 yrs old the first time I got my fingers caught in the wringer rollers, OUCH! I never did again. Now how wonderful it is to have a washer and dryer, no clothes to ‘hang on the line!


Most folks my age remember a pot belly stove in the living room and a wood stove ‘range’ in the kitchen. Two heated rooms in a home. Lots of those heavy quilts to cover you in the cold Bedrooms.  Everyone hated to use the cold chamber pot after you were warm under those quilts. Central heat was a dream come true.

When A/C’s first came out, only the well-off folks had them. NO Schools I attended were blessed with cool air, we had big fans on a stand to circulate the air.

Down South especially, I watched school busses pass our school taking the black kids to their school. I was never fortunate enough to be in an integrated school. Before school my best friends were ‘colored’.  I am glad I did not see them have to go to separate schools. We moved to the city at my first grade. Like it or not, integration was a very good thing.

I remember the phone when we had party lines and the operator asked, “Number Please?”


The dial & push button phones were a good change. 

  BUT this old man does not like learning the GREAT changes I must LEARN when we get a NEW phone.  LOL I am sure my grandkids like those upgrades, but the changes have out-distanced my mental abilities, mostly!

Y’all take care and remember (some) change is good, whether we like it or not.  What change makes you smile or puts you on the wrong side?

NiteShipslog

PS:  Once again ‘Thanks’ AGAIN to y’all for stopping by the Shipslog..  Life is getting better here. Except the new phone!!

5 comments:

Susie said...

I remember mommy and her wringer machine. She got into the wringers once and I just unplugged the machine 1st thing. I remember the potbelly stove..as you said, the well off, haha ..we must have been the poorest in town, we were always last to have things.Now for new techy things..omg... first of all the world thinks everyone of us has the latest and greatest of all these and that we absolutely have top degrees in using them.I am so old school, I pay cash for everything I buy. Clerk at the grocery said, "one day you will have to use your bank card". I said that would be the day I would be eating out of their trash. LOL. Just kidding, but dang for the world to be so into card pay but always wanting our dirty old money. Jack, You know I am just poking fun at us oldsters. Happy Easter, blessings, xoxo, Susie

Glenda Hulbert said...

Susie and I have very similar memories, same wringer washers to bite the fingers, ouch! Those infernal clothes lines that whipped in the wind, ours were never tight enough to not "swing"! And OM GOSH, picking up chunks of coal to put in the cookstove, Yep, we also had a potbelly one on the porch! Also, I remember when our first home phone didn't work right, it was also a busy party line, my Dad called the company, told them to come get the phone, dig up their pole and fill in the hole in the ground ~ that was the day when the phone was out of order, my little brother Robert, fell out of the high chair, broke a glass and split his head open....Mama cried all day...oh my, no more phone calls to her family in Florida :( Robby healed up fast and got lots of pampering and extra brownies and slices of pie.) He's the one that Sherry Darnell said to him ~ Robbie "you're a pig"!!! And Robter came back with incredible sass..."A PIG SIT ON A CHAIR?" Member that JacSher? (He is still our Angel)! Love y'all Darnells

happyone said...

I have many memories like these too. :)
Happy Easter! He is Risen.

Mevely317 said...

Ya, there's no avoiding those pot-holes in the Road of Life! Fortunately, I don't remember any real hardships -- but would be hard-pressed to do what my parents and grandparents did ... without complaint. I sure remember learning to type on a manual machine not much different than that you've pictured. And carbon paper? Not sure they print enough money to persuade me to go back. (As if I could! lol)

Chatty Crone said...

I remember a lot of these things from my grandparents. My parents were older when they had me - and I have to admit I was spoiled. Now I am not - lol!