Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Friends

 A picture from the Past.
A short time friend and Shipmate, Frank Malanowski  1967-1969
I took this picture at the Acropolis in Athens


What a change, I received a call 55 years later, "this is Ski. Can I come over?  I just live a mile away here in Deltona!


 He was then a ProtoDeacon in the Orthodox Church.  You never know what a drinking buddy and friend will become......  Ski has since passed away, but man was it fun reminiscing about our time in Naval Intel.

 

For Today:

Since Dad was a pastor, I was never in one school more than 3 years. So I really had no early childhood friends. At 9-10 yrs old I met my friend Vondale.  At 15 I met Buddy (Richard)  we have sorta stayed in contact. All three of us took different paths.  Vondale was born to be a businessman and was successful in a couple of businesses.





Above is Buddy with the beautiful Di.  Not sure who the guy on the right is, but I think he has been waiting a long time for a dance with Di!

Buddy, joined the USAF. Later spent a stint with the Texas Highway Patrol, but like me, he heard the call of the military, so he went back in and retired.

There is Dallas. I have mentioned him several times, on the Blog. We met in the Corps.  We were 17/18 yrs old and have stayed in contact.  I do regret that I have not lived near these GREAT guys in our adult lives.

That closeness I still feel and know if I needed anything all I would have to do is ask; I hope they know I feel the same for them.

My adult friend was a BIL.  Sonny and I were so much alike but different, he lived and died within a mile of his raising.  He Democrat, me GOP.  He was pro Union, I was not. BUT we could sure work together.

With our wives we took a trip across the USA together, then back to the Bad Lands area later.  We drove to Nova Scotia. We were close. He died and left me.

(Sonny and I having a Saspirilla(?)  in the Long Branch in Dodge City, did not see Miss Kitty)

He was married to Colette  (Sherry’s sister).  After Colette passed Sonny and I were in a car together. I tell everyone this: I know how it feels to lose loving Parents, Brothers and sisters. But I cannot imagine the feelings in losing a mate. (I still remember the exact spot on the street and traffic light where he said this.)  “You probably think I am the worst Christian in the world. I know ministers and many tell me Colette is better off. No pain, no tears and all that; BUT I DON’T CARE, I WANT HER BACK WITH ME!”



Collette and Sonny,  she had to protect her eyes, she suffered from dry eyes.

We were grown men crying. I assured him ‘I may not understand how you feel, but I am sure I would feel the same.’

I think I have written this before, but RECENTLY STEVE, Sonny’s SON, lost HANK, his best friend. They had known each other since childhood.  He called me to say, “Now I understand how you felt every time you told me that you thought of Daddy EVERY DAY and missed him.  Yes, NOW I REALLY DO UNDERSTAND!!”

I have not had a lot of friends, but I have some good ones, how about you, are you fortunate?

NiteShipslog

PS:  

Thanks AGAIN to you all for stopping by the Shipslog..

9 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Goodness I liked reading about your friends.
What is a ProtoDeacon in the Orthodox Church?
You seemed to stay in touch with just about everyone.
I have had four or five BEST friends who have passed. I tell you what - the older you get the more you lose. I guess someday that will be us.
I remember C.S. Lewis and his book on Joy. He married Jog - she had bone cancer. They said that part of the joy now will be part of the pain they share later. Maybe I didn't say that right - but I don't know what I'd do without Rick - but I do know one of us will out live the other.
Life????
My parents died the same day - 2000 miles a part - within ten minutes of each other. One in CA and one here in GA.
I shouldn't think so late at night.
But I am thankful for every one I have lost.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

What a wonderful post and great tribute to people you have known and loved. Thank you so much, Jack. For a few moments there you had me thinking of all the people I knew and loved.

God bless always.

Susie said...

Jack, Just from reading your blog posts, I feel , once you befriend a person you would be friends for life. True friends are rare. I have just in the past 3 years become friends with a girl I grew up with in the same neighborhood. My best friend of all time was my wonderful Teddy. That's why our love worked so well. We were always friends...and I miss him with my whole being everyday. You just hold tight to your Sherry . Bless you both, xoxo, Susie

Mevely317 said...

True friends are indeed rare. You've been so blessed in that regard -- but then, it takes two.
I don't know if it was for lack of trying, or sheer geographical distances, but I can only think of two long-term friends. We still keep in touch through Facebook and on birthdays, but have little to nothing in common. Kinda sad, isn't it?

happyone said...

A wonderful tribute post to your friends.
True friends are truly a gift from God. I have been blessed with good friends too!! :)

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Some wonderful memories, thanks for sharing them. Like you, I wouldn't say I have lots of friends (I'm a bit of an introvert), but I have a few good ones.

Lisa said...

Buddy looks like Willie Nelson.

Lisa

salemslot9 said...

Reason
Season
Forever
They all fit it there somewhere

salemslot9 said...

‘in’ there
whoopsie