Sunday, March 24, 2024

I learned about some technology. TOO LATE

 Pic of the day:

 Sherece and one of the twins on the tire swing

 For today:

I have learned SOMETHING THAT HURTS!!  I have lost many pictures over the years and wondered what happened??? You may have noticed three very tiny pictures on this blog, there were 4 OF THEM. I did not need them so I started deleting them. I deleted one and the system said: This pic will be deleted from ALL files on this computer!  WHAT? So I did not continue, just reduced them in size since EDGE did not give me a ‘Cut’ option as Chrome did.

  Sadly I had at least 22 pictures on file with the same name because when I transfer to the computer here from the camera the camera had assigned them a name.  Once I get them off the camera, the names are used again for the next pictures to be downloaded, therefore many same names. So when i delete one pic I delete all pictures with that name.....  so when I deleted that one picture I deleted 22 of my pics and I do not know which ones,

My CAMERA assigned the number DSCF0004 to this picture: 

 

I renamed it 'stairwell pic22'.

I searched DSCF0004 in my pictures and got this:

 

So all these pictures would have been deleted had I continued deleting one more picture.. 22 pictures of the same name.  One of them is this one:


Not a clear shot but it was a onetime thing and I would sure hate to have deleted it.

 

This has caused me no end of consternation [-(  

I will be doing some renaming. I need to find out how to add some alpha characters ABC, ETC,  to each download of pics, to make the downloads unique.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

God has allowed us to meet some of the best folk on the planet. In person and here on the net.  Thank you all for being here… and being YOU!

5 comments:

Susie said...

Jack, you are computer wizard compared to me. I am almost bald from tearing hair out with technology. I feel like my birth certificate is engraved in stone. Dang. My kids say, "oh mom just play around with your computer, phone, or tv"....I am always afraid I will delete or lock up something. We may all have to adopt a teenager. LOL. Good luck dear friend. Blessings always, xoxo, Susie

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Sorry to hear of your camera mishap. I hope you have not lost many photos/

Here's what happens. When you take photos with the camera it numbers each one DSCF 0001 , 2 and so on. DSCF is the code for Fuji; other makes have other code prefixes.

When you download the photos from your camera to the computer it assigns them the same numbers DSCF 0001, 2 and so on.

Now then, there's a facility to tell the camera that the next photos you take will have a continuous number e.g. from where you left off at the last download. If the last download was DSCF 0496, the next photo will be DSCF 0497. This is too complicated to explain how to do it here.

However, as is the case in your instance; your next photos after a download are coded DSCF 0001, 2 etc. It resets at the beginning.

So, (sadly), your next downloads on the computer will have photos of the same number. As you have proved with a number of photos named DSCF0004.

So if you delete DSCF0004 you will have deleted all photos of that code downloaded on the computer over the years.

What to do to prevent this?

This is laborious. Go back to all your downloaded photos and rename them to something else. That is, "Mickey Mouse on stairwell", "Sherry on holiday" "Jack in garden" and so on.

Unfortunately, you'll have to rename ALL your past downloads to a new UNIQUE name. And also do so every time you download a new lot of photos from the camera to the computer.

As for the lost photos. There's a program called RECUVA which can help recover lost photos from your computer if they are still there hidden in memory. You'll need an expert to help you with this.

Any more questions: enquiries@holyvisions.co.uk

God bless.

Chatty Crone said...

Well, I am Susie's sister - we have all that in common. I can't tell you how many times I have been in a bad situation with this computer. It is a love hate relationship.
Victor seems like your man! lol
Sandie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm no good at technology, but thankfully some of my sons are They help me when I have problems. The young seen to be much more computer wise. Thankfully I have a back up hard drive that saves everything for me. It was a gift from my youngest son. Good luck on retrieving your pictures!

Mevely317 said...

I'm in the same boat as Susie and Chatty! I'm glad Victor was able to help, but it's all Greek to me. (Or Latin, I forget which.) I haven't much in the way of $ but would happily pay someone ELSE to do that for me. Good luck!