Monday, June 12, 2023

A Crook but then there are Nice Folks!

 Car for today:

 

Above the '55 Ford below was the 55' Rambler

 Repeat from 10 yrs ago:

One of my many jobs was at a service station at an interstate exit. Within a day I realized I was working for a crook. He treated me fairly, I was working for minimum wage and happy to get the job. I watched the man cheat customer after customer.

Once I was pumping gas, I noticed a taillight out. I mentioned it to the driver and he said check it out. I pulled the bulb it took less than a minute. I could see the filaments were good so I cleaned the base on my jeans and reinstalled it and it worked. I collected for the gas and told him I had cleaned the contacts and his taillight was ok.

The owner fussed, “You could have sold him a bulb and put the old one back in. I am here to make money!” I told him the man did not need a new bulb and it had cost nothing to fix it.

I joined the Navy and Sherry was going to drive up for a weekend. I asked her to take  it to my former boss and make sure the car was in good shape. He sold her 4 tires, and several other things. I knew they were not needed. I thought at least he would not cheat my family, but he did. He was an equal opportunity crook. Later he lost the station.  He failed in every business he tried.

Knowing that, I have always been leery on the interstate. Once Sherry and I were towing a trailer with the 55 Ford on the interstate when the car started acting up, losing power. I pulled in, the mechanic listened to my story. picked up a couple things and started to the car. “Hey man, what is this going to cost?”

“Not much,” and he just ignored me. He got under the hood played around a little with the gas lines and said “Now try it.”  It started and idled well.

You won’t have any more problems with that, come on inside.”

He charged me about $3. “It was just the fuel filter, I replaced it.”   All was well! It renewed my faith in people.

Another time while stationed in Missouri, I was told I needed a new engine. Sherry was taking piano lessons at the time, and the teacher’s husband was a mechanic. I drove my shaking, backfiring 1955 Rambler to his shop. I told him what the Rambler Dealership had said. From under the hood he said. “Hand me the 3/8 wrench off the bench!”

In 10 seconds the engine smoothed out.

It was just a couple loose intake manifold bolts, it’s okay now. No charge.”  I gave him $10 he had just saved me $800.00.

Everyone is not a con-man, there are nice folks in this world…

Nite Shipslog

PS:

It is like a breath of fresh air to be treated fairly.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

No, not everyone is a con man, there are more honest people than dishonest I think. The dishonest ones of course have to ruin it for the rest of us. There's a lot of good out there still. And speaking of con men, one is going to be facing justice very soon I hope. Lock Him Up!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

It is good, and sometimes rare, to get good service.

God bless, Jack and Sherry.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thankfully I have a reliable and trustworthy mechanic to go to. I This morning they called to say I need a new axle put in my car. I trust them to get it fixed. Hopefully today. I need to keep this old car running so I keep fixing it. It's cheaper than buying a new car. It's a 2010 but I don't drive it much and the mileage is low. It's a blessing there are truthful people out there and not all of them are crooks.

yaya said...

I'm glad you are a man of good integrity and it seems like that old boss of yours was faced with karma! We've been cheated here and there and it makes me mad when it's someone you thought you could trust. Jack treats everyone kindly and fairly and makes sure his patients are not over charged and if he knows he can't help them he makes sure to find a doctor who can. We were cheated once when a patient of his timbered out some trees. He only paid us probably 1% of what they were worth with some story about the price of timber back then. We found out he also cheated his own Dad. I guess you live and learn and hopefully never be like them! Hugs from Ohio to you and Sherry!

Chatty Crone said...

I agree with you Jack - there sure are some con men out there and women - but mostly I think people are good.

Mevely317 said...

What a stinker, that awful man. Like others have said, it's good to focus on those honest service men and women. We had one like that in Arizona. Once they diagnosed something amiss with my Camry -- we gave the go ahead to replace it (water pump, I think). Anyway, they got into putting in the new one and realized it wasn't that at all. We would never have known the difference, but he called to apologize and said we wouldn't be charged for the new (unnecessary) filter.