Saturday, June 17, 2023

Maybe so, Maybe NO! and more!

  Car of the day:

The Stout Scarab 2 listed as one of the strangest cars. 1930s


(Susan: I won't see my ?Dr. until we Pass thru NC AGAIN. i b FUSSING TIL THEN.)

So for today:

Maybe so, maybe no, a phrase I heard later in life.  I heard “Maybe so,” all my life but not with the added Maybe no. Is it a locality thing, I heard it in Utah!

“Don’t like bottom wanna get up on top, but it seems like I’m just too pooped to pop.”  Said by me as a popcorn grain!



“I don’t feel like a have a full deck today!”

Me today, “I sure don’t feel like the sharpest knife in the drawer!”

;-)  I am still trying, I sure hope my elevator gets to the top!,,,,,,

In the past few days I have felt like ALL the air has left my balloon.

Once my sister Shirl said to her hubby, “I’m trying!”  His retort, “YOU sure are!”  ;-)

I have been building this entry for a few days,,,,,

Today it is raining Cats and Dogs at Southern Palms!  Now where did that originate and what sense does it make? (see PS)

Add a quip from your area or that you use!

 

Nite Shipslog

 

PS: The first record of the phrase being used was in 1651 by British poet Henry Vaughan. Who wrote a collection of poems titled Olor Iscanus. In the poems, he referred to a roof that was secure against, “dogs and cats rained in shower." In 1652, a British playwright named Richard Brome wrote the comedy play Citty Wit.

 

Seems many cats and dogs were drowned and pooled into the same area after a huge storm.

4 comments:

Mevely317 said...

That car is just CRAZY!
You've found some good expressions today, Jack. Similarly of late, I've been known to tell Tom, "I feel like someone's let the air out of me." Except he's probably fallen asleep, or forgotten his hearing aids, so I'm talking to the dogs.

Back when I lived in West Texas we used to say, "Toad frog strangler" about heavy rainfall. When I use it here, I just get strange looks!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Some sayings from around here:

Keep your hair on (i.e. don't loose your temper)
A face like a mile of bad road (i.e. miserable)
As welcome as a fart in a space suit.
Yer bum’s oot the windae (i.e. You are lying or exaggerating)

God bless.

Susan Kane said...

What a cool car! I wonder what the current car owners would say about it?

we had a really wet winter here in Murrieta, CA. Now we are getting ready for July.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've heard that rain is needed in Florida so is rain is good! Take care Jack and I agree with your sister, Keep on trying ! Don't give up!