Monday, February 14, 2011

BE my Valentine

valentineb

(Little Jimmy got a rep early)

My first introduction to Valentine ’s Day, was in school (1946). We made this red box and decorated it with hearts. You could bring Valentine cards and drop them in the box for the other students. Some of the kids were fortunate that their parents bought one for everyone. Others made valentines for the ones we knew well, or the one you might want, or think of as a sweetheart. You could buy Valentine Cards at a penny a piece. The most popular kids got the most cards. I don’t remember being upset at not getting as many as some of the others. I don’t think anyone cared if it was a penny or a nickel valentine.

valentinea

(Especially for Shirl)

It was just a festive occasion when the box was opened and the names began being called out. The teacher was smart enough to assign ‘mail people’ to deliver the cards when the name was called. I wonder if they still do that?

valentine candypkpn93l

(I used to love to read these little valentine candies)

Of course when you have a girl-friend (or boy friend) then the day begins to take on a new meaning. Wooo hoooo!

love bug

Remember the ‘Love Bug’ Here is the ‘Smart’ new one!!valx-large

Now that I have had the same Valentine for over 55 years, of course I love that girl. She still has the sweetest kisses and the best loving of anyone in the world, BAR NONE!

So HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY to all you Valentines, I hope you have found the love of your life, if not, I hope you find them. I always dreamed our sons would be as happy as long as we have been, but that was not to be. But to find LOVE no matter when, is important in this life, I THINK so anyway.

HappyValentinesDay

AND HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY TO MY SHERRY (Who does read this blog) I LOVE YOU SWEETHEART!

Now if you will excuse me, we have got to go celebrate OUR 55th VALENTINE’S DAY!

Nite Shipslog

PS:

Your Valentine present! Just from me!

vdaySupra

cute-valentines-ideas-cars6

1941 Graham hollywood

Take your choice……..

10 comments:

Ally Lifewithally said...

Happy Valentines day to you both ~ May you share many many more together ~ Ally x

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You both have a great Valentines celebration! Lots of Love and Hugs from Ohio

shirl72 said...

I love little piggies, Thanks for putting the
picture on your blog. They are so smart. They know it is Valentine Day.

Happy Valentine to You and your Valentine.
Enjoy the day. I have had a good day.

Shirl

Anonymous said...

Please have you all a wonderful week ahead.

Missing until Sunday, I wish you all the very best.

Fred Alton said...

Oh what happy days those were. Caring teachers. (Well, for the most part.) Simpler times. One cent valentines. But who had the 25 cents to get everyone in the room a card? Still, I remember it as a fun day when I was a child.

Jean said...

I don't know why but my school days were just like yours and Fred. lol. I remember drawing Valentine's coloring and cutting them out, and some come in sheets you could cut out. I don't remember having enough for everyone in the class. Hope you and your sweetheart had a good day. I did!!! And I'm so tired.

Dar said...

Don't want to hold up the party, but Happy Valentine's Day You Two Lil Lovies!
Now, go play nice.
BlessYourHearts

Glenda said...

Love ALL the Valentines, especially the cars! Happy
Valentine's Day to you two!!!

Sheila Y said...

Times did change...when my kids were in elementary school, you had to get enough valentines for everyone. They decorated a Kleenex box to hold the valentines they received. Happy Valentine's Day to you and Sherry. ♥ Sheila

Y said...

Your life-long love affair is an inspiration to us all. Thanks for sharing.