Friday, March 14, 2014

Ships, GED and turning in our Trailer. (Pictures not related to blog post.)

The next few weeks were hectic for me and Sherry.  We had a choice, She could return home and live in Belmont or stay in the trailer at Geiger. I was due for discharge just a little after the cruise so she decided to go home and get a job and work until I got back and was discharged.

ATT0001313MA29007207-0013

(Is this a little fellow or what?)

In the mean time I was upset just hearing about the GED.  After reporting to Radio Relay company, I met Sgt. Bell, he looked at my records and suggested I take the GED test and get my HS diploma. I had no problem with the tests, I was always pretty good at taking tests. I passed the HS and later took the College GED and passed it.

ATT0001010MA29007207-0010

(This how I see Susie, down in Texas)

So when I was back in Belmont on a weekday, I took the paper work into my ‘good friend’ Mr. Cortner, HS principal. I had this cute idea of graduating with my class, thinking that would be cool in my uniform.  But he informed me we had not separated on good terms, and besides the school system did not recognize the GED as a legitimate ‘swap’ for actual studies.  He wished me good luck,  I thanked him and left.

So I saw no reason for all the hype in the military to get us drop-outs, GED’s (a very short sighted view in hindsight).

ATT0001717MA29007207-0017

But that was water under the bridge (I realized later it was nothing personal, it was regulations).

I had a lot of work to do in getting the cubic ft. of all the vehicles, and also learning the procedures for loading the ship.

dunbar-post

(picture from the web)

Sherry assumed the responsibility of cleaning the little trailer and having it ready for the USMC white glove inspection. She used tooth picks and tooth brush to clean the crevasses and cracks around the stove, sinks and corners. She was  nervous, a USMC Gunny Sgt. inspecting, can be very intimidating. That place was spotless.

130408-M-PH073-001

(from the net)

She was one proud housewife after the inspection. She had passed with flying colors, even got an ‘atta boy’ from the Gunny. I was so proud of my Marine Wife.

BambiandMA28992340-0022

I hated to leave and she hated for me to go. If I remember right she drove me back to the base and dropped me off after our trip home to get her settled in. So I was back in the barracks.

BambiandMA28992340-0045

I did get a BIG Shock. Sgt. Bell announced, “Listen up, Corporal Fletcher has decided not to take this free cruise the government is giving us, he is in sick bay with  pneumonia. Doc says he will be ok, but not before we sail.” He then announced who would be assigned Dal’s Radio truck and other stuff, but I was not listening, I was re-hearing Dal say when we heard of the upcoming cruise, “I hear they won’t take you if you are sick.”  Then it came to me what mama had said, ‘better be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.’

My convoy was right, we arrived at Morehead City on time. I had NEVER seen a ship up close. To me it was humongous. Gunny Goodwin was in charge of the loading. He took my paper work and handed it to a Boatswains mate.

I went topside and looked down in the ships hold. LORD it was deep! That was when  it hit me, if this is loaded wrong, it will be a mess.  But all went well and all was loaded even the truck with C-Rations (from Sears! LOL).

I was not familiar with all the bells and horns on a ship. But I did hear the announcement.

“Vermillion underway” as we left the pier. 

Thanks for coming by the log.

Nite Shipslog

PS:  It was exciting to be loading a ship, and also heart breaking to be thinking of the separation.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

train car

Love this steam Locomotive and the A model truck. That is a classy truck with white-walls.

8 comments:

Paula said...

Wow! You passed college GED too? Leah could chat with Sherry about inspections. She once told me they checked the top of the door with white gloves on. Was she kidding me? I would hate for them to check the top of my doors.

TARYTERRE said...

Glad Sherry passed the inspection. That had to be pretty stressful. The boat sounds fascinating.

shirl72 said...

Brother you have always been very
intelligent. I had to study and
work for my grades.

Glad Sherry passed inspection I know
she was relieved. White gloves that
is hard to believe. I like Paula
would hate for them to check my
home. Glad things worked out.

betty said...

I have heard that move out inspections for military housing are very tough to pass; glad Sherry did with flying colors! The important thing was that you got the GED, it would have been nice if you could have walked with your class, but finishing that and getting that piece of paper is what mattered in the long run :)

betty

Chatty Crone said...

I have never heard of the college GED - that is wonderful. And personally I think you should have been able to graduate with you class. Had Sherry not passed the cleaning - what would happen? Good job on the ship!

Dar said...

Sounds like you both passed!!! I'm not surprised. You both run a tidy ship. It must have been hard to be apart tho, even being only a 6 wk tour. I remember those days...
it's like reliving 45 yrs ago, only I lived off base.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I can see why it was both exciting and heartbreaking at the same time. Glad your loading procedure worked out that would be challenging work. Hope you all are having a nice weekend there. Yesterday we go up in the 50's . Lots of snow melted once again.

Louis la Vache said...

Somewhat off-topic but your comment about looking into the hold and thinking how deep it was reminded «Louis» of how the frames of ships are numbered and how sailors use the numbering to help keep them oriented when working in the depths of a ship.