Thursday, March 13, 2014

Ships Loading manifest? Chow? Convoy?

Mid July 1957, Sgt.  Bell says: “I just got that stack of stuff you are holding from the Old Man. He says get ready to move out in a few weeks, NATO wants us to come over and play with them in September. What you have there  is the layout of the Ship, it is AKA107 the Vermillion. Check out the holds, compare sizes with our equipment, and give me a loading manifest in two weeks.”

Scanoldpic9 038

We’re going to the Med? How long?”

“You married guys tear me up, you want to be Marines, but you want to stay home and pat mama on the butt. Yep, we have orders to the Med or you wouldn’t have that stack of papers. This is a short one, only 6 weeks you can do without your mama for 6 weeks, right?”

“Yeah Sarg, no problem but I don’t know what a loading manifest is?”

“You are one of the smart guys, I know you got a GED and can read. Just remember load in the reverse order of how you want it unloaded. First on is the last off, is that so complicated. Crap, if I had a GED I could do it. Look around the warehouse for a desk  and make me proud. Now get out of here I got some real work to do!” I turned to walk out and he spoke again, “Remember to figure how many ‘C’ Rations we will need, and order ‘em, if I go hungry I’ll kill you twice. Oh yeah, you may as well set up the convoy. We debark from Moorehead city, that one is simple, the convoy should be the loading order.”

I walked out my head sorta spinning, thinking I have never even been on a ship. How do they get this stuff from the pier onto the ship? Then I thought, worse than that, you have to tell Sherry! I gotta figure “C” rations too? Where do I order them from, Sears Roebuck?

The word got around the company pretty fast, “Hey you hear, We’re going to the Med!”

I thought ‘boy do I know.’

Dallas came by, smiling, I feel awful sick, I hear they won’t load someone who is sick.”

I grunted, “Good luck with that.”

Nite Shipslog

PS:

It is amazing the responsibility placed on a 17-20yr old person in service.

***************************************************

1957 Buick Roadmaster1957 gmc pickup1957 lincoln landau 4 dr ht1957 Packard prototype1957_DeSoto_FireFlite_Sedan_Black_Tail_Light

1957 cars,

9 comments:

Louis la Vache said...

Great story, Jack!
«Louis» remembers reading that some of the ships carrying supplies to Normandy weren't "combat loaded" and contributed to the congestion on the beaches because the wrong things were coming off the ships first.

Nice collection of '57s you show there. As you well know by now, «Louis» still mourns the fact that that '57 Packard you show never reached production. That car would have been such an innovative car - it would have set GM back on its heels: four wheel disc brakes, fuel injection, impact absorbing front bumper, flow-through fresh air ventilation - all standard equipment.

shirl72 said...

Well hope you figured out the manifest. I know you did a good
job like the man said you were
one of the smart ones. I don't
think I would like to be on a ship.
I know you love being on the water.
It is hard being away from a love
one. You did good and now retired
from all the hula-ba-lou.

Dar said...

Following you has been quite the trip. You amaze me, your wonderful memory. It just proves that you enjoyed every second of your 'tour' on this earth. I love that. Your love of the sea, it started with the Med, eh? soooo, did Sears and Roebuck have and C rations? LOL
Luvya 2-2

Chatty Crone said...

Okay - this is a great story, but I would't want to be you this time!

TARYTERRE said...

What a story. Obviously you figured out what to do. And you told your wife. What next?

betty said...

Six weeks is still a long time for a newly married couple! I think I would be clueless too trying to figure out what was expected of you!

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That is one thing about the military that is awful hard on marriages. You go where they send you. I know that some like one of my sons joined up to see the world and he did see a good part of it, still it takes it's toll on your family life too. A lot of responsibility is put on young men and women that the average civilian wouldn't face. I'm always very appreciative of all our armed forces for the sacrifices they make. Course I know their are rewards too. Not in material things but in things money can't buy.

Paula said...

Thanks for serving our country. I wouldn't have wanted to be in your shoes. Bet Sherry took it like a trooper too. I've begun to realize the family left at home to keep the home fires burning doesn't get enough credit. I thank them too.

Glenda said...

The pain of parting, had to be a tough good-bye. And you got an opportunity to demonstrate, early on, your superb skills!!! (Loved the car pics)