Monday, April 11, 2022

If walls of a home could talk

 Memorable car of the day:

I am almost sure this is a 1954 Buick. That was the year the wrap-around windshield was introduced curved glass, wow. 1955 GM added it to other cars.

For today: 

I had sort of a pleasant experience. I read Sean of the South. Jean’s daughter Sheila introduced me to his blog. I read and commented for years. Then a year or so ago when I made a comment, it said ‘Posting’, but never posted. That continued.

A day or so ago I made a comment and low and behold it took. Sean was talking about the house they live in and was wondering the stories the walls held.

Growing up until I left home for the USMC, I lived in parsonages. Once married we lived in rented trailers and apartments. WE decided to buy a house trailer and it would be ours, except for the $12 a month to park it.  Yep, that is what the lot costs were when we bought our first 32’x8’ trailer. WE traded for a 42x8 and lived in it for many years.

I read once that someone was working on a way to 'lift' layers of words imprinted on wall surfaces over the years. They were seeking to bring to life the stories walls have heard. That is far fetched, but so was a cell phone in 1951! LOL

Since retiring from the Military we lived in 4 different homes in the Belmont, NC area. Three of which we built. Those walls shared only our family stories until about 1999 when we decided to rent it out and hit the road. So now there are stories we do not know in that home.

Funny thing about Sean of The South, I just read his entry ‘Haters’ and made a comment and it did not take. Now I wonder, and wonder. Maybe? I will learn,  it is something I do not understand…..

BTW I just read Betty’s entry about ‘Income’. Did you know that some people do not pick up their pay checks? Imma wondering if I could get on a list for folks paycheck that don’t want it?  Just thinking!

Y’all have a great day!!!!  I feel pretty good today. NICE!

Nite Shipslog

PS: Ponce de Leon’s search for the fountain of youth worked, so now we have enough youth. How about a Fountain of Smart?"

PS2 Is 'Far fetched' still a good use of words?

6 comments:

Glenda said...

OH MY....I've read your Log without commenting an smiled a lot! I know you are a fascinatspeaker and writer! And let me say that I wish Sherry and You and yours a "Happy Easter"! I attempted to text Juanelle for her new home address and my iPhone abandoned me: no response. I could easily KILL Apple. What a disaster when my phone did not work. I cannot even access my voicemail.....where is Jack Jr. when I need him? So, thinkin' I clean the floors and just wish y'all Happy Easter vs sending cards....HAPPY EASTER!!! Love and warm hugs from Chobee!
Glenda

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Sean of the south's a good story teller and does make one think. All of our home include a lot of the stories of our lives for sure. Some would be happy they cannot talk. Glad you are having a good day there, Pretty nice here too and I had a successful surgery too. Nothing could be finer than having my eyesight restored!

betty said...

Thanks for the shout out Jack. I too want to be on the list to get unclaimed paychecks. I hadn't thought about walls talking but I do walk by tall trees sometimes and have commented "the stories they could tell if they could talk".

Betty

My Tata's Cottage said...

I love that old Buick. WOW! Cars today are so dull compared these old classics. I sure love them. I have followed Sean for a long time and I often do not see my comments. But once when I went out and came back in I saw my comment. Yes the stories our homes tell behind the walls. A friend has been remodeling a house from the late 1800;s I believe and her husabnd found news papers from the early 1900s behind some walls nicely intact. They stopped for a bit, had five kids from 9 to 2 and took a remodel break while the triplets were still in the hospital! hahaha...they are all well mbut mom and dad have busy hands these days. 8 kids, two parents, those odds are ...well...busy hands!
Have a wonderful day and good travels to you & Sherry.

Mevely317 said...

Your 'PS' has me rolling (lmao)!
I don't know much about any secrets our home's walls have absorbed, but it's nice to think about. I do know, our Alexa is always listening; just last night Tom and I were yakking about something inconsequential. Then, from the living room I hear 'her' speaking up, adding her two cents. Ought to be a law!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Our walls do speak. They say stop painting over old paint; scrape the previous layers off first. I don't bother and paint over old paint time and again. Now the rooms are getting smaller, I think!!!

God bless.