Saturday, April 23, 2022

Men and Women of Note in My Lifetime (7)

 That Car:


(And just minutes later.........)

For today Remembering:

Abraham Lincoln….April 14, 1865

James Garfield…..July 2, 1881

William McKinley…Sept 6, 1901

John F Kennedy….Nov 22, 1963

There have been very sad times in the USA. Four of our Presidents have been assassinated.  Sadly, one of them in my life time. Many of you will remember that time vividly.

Most people can remember where they were at moments like that.  I was driving my car headed to the grocery store, it came as a flash over the car radio:

PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY HAS BEEN ASSASSINATED IN DALLAS TEXAS!

That is the time, if you have a heart, politics are forgotten. We have had two presidents known simply by their initials: FDR and JFK. Both from wealthy families, very high profile but different. JFK had been a war hero. There are many photos of his son, John-John, in the Oval Office. First lady, ‘Jackie’ was also youthful and high profile. Photos' that made us know a family was there. JFK’s death was a real SHOCK to our country.

Sadness followed the family. His brother RFK, was also assassinated. His son, John Jr., Killed in a plane crash. And the one that was a Kennedy DISGRACE and a Tragedy was Edward Kennedy and his Chappaquiddick incident in which Mary Jo Kopechne drowned.

Many people speculate that had Robert and Edward lived that our country would have had a Kennedy Dynasty in the White House.  BUT WE ALL KNOW, hindsight and past speculating makes a good story, but does not change the past one little bit.  It has been said by wise and not-so, we cannot recall even one second on the clock of life.

Much more is listed of the Kennedys’ stories, but the above I remember. I did not vote for JFK, BUT had he lived I think he would have left an even greater legacy.

Do I believe all the ‘theories’ that contradict the news of JFK’s death, absolutely NOT!  I believe that history as it is written, but that is me.

Nite Shipslog

 PS: Attributed to George Orwell: Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it.

 

3 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Let's try this again! I just left a comment, but it disappeared.
Yes, I certainly remember where I was and what I was doing (junior high classroom) when we heard the news about JFK. Shortly thereafter, school was abruptly dismissed; I saw teachers weeping openly. And then! Just as our family was preparing to leave for church, Oswalk was shot to death on live television.
Jackie was sure a class act; all her life I think people looked up to her. And now, only Caroline is left.

betty said...

You are right, Jack. Those of us who were alive when JKF was assassinated will always remember where we were when we heard the news. I was in 1st grade at a Catholic school. The nuns were devastated and school was immediately closed. There is so much history in the Kennedy family and so much tragedy.

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

As far as I'm concerned JFK was one of our best presidents . I do remember when he was shot and we were glued to the TV for days with watching the events. We were all devastated. I often think the world would have been a better place if he had lived.