Wednesday, February 8, 2023

New stuff, food?

Today’s one of a kind:

 This hummer might not get you there fast, but it should NEVER get stuck..


Some thoughts for today:

I enjoy hearing of your part of the country and some of your growing years.  It is nice to hear things that I can relate to and also hear of things I know nothing about.

Most people who were born early to the mid 1900’s remained in the area of their birth. In the last 40-50 years folks have moved more due to jobs, health and a desire to see something new. 

Ma and Lisa does a lot of good recipes and I am noticing more and more foods mentioned that I have never heard of. Myra mentions a lot of spicy foods, I think that is what I called HOT.  She mentions a chili that the name burns my tongue. LOL

Oh, Gary and Anna Mae up in NY cook foods, related to her heritage. It sounds great but I cannot even pronounce the names. ;-O.

Much of the moving around came due to wars. Men/boys (some ladies) who had never been off a farm found themselves in Europe or the Pacific Islands. We lived in Cuba for near 4 years and the only Cuban food I picked up on was ‘THE CUBAN’, a great sandwich, we haven’t found a place that comes close to matching it.  I forgot, I think I picked up a love for black beans and rice there.

(the pressed Cuban, above)

Oh and a real Philly Cheese Steak? I have never found one to match the one I got on the docks of Philadelphia in sort of a dive, but the sandwich was PERFECT!

Have you picked up any foods you enjoy that were not part of your upbringing?

 

Nite Shipslog

PS: I never saw nor tasted a Pizza until I was 16 years old.

I never saw broccoli, cauliflower, brussels spouts until I joined the USMC at 17. 

6 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

My comment here was posted OK. Then when I visited again it vanished. Is it in your SPAM folder?

God bless.

http://timeforreflections.blogspot.com

Chatty Crone said...

We are from Chicago - hot beef sandwiches and the Chicago Hotdog - we can't find any here - there was one, but it went out of business. Your Philly looked delish.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Like you, a lot of the foods I eat today were not a part of my childhood. Green beans and corn were in our meals back then, but I've come to enjoy cauliflower and brussels sprouts now. Thank you for the mention of my recipes on my blog. I'm trying to eat healthier and it means trying out new recipes for me. There are things I still have never had, but I'm sure eventually, I'll get around to them.

Susie said...

Jack, The foods I remember are fried potatoes, soup beans(pintos) and cornbread. I can not eat those beans...just won't do it. I like corn muffins, it's the bit of sugar...but basic cornbread, no not eating that either. I am not a big fan of fried foods. I have learned ways to cook that aren't frying. LOL The older I get, the harder it is to think of anything I really like. I like baked and broiled chicken or fish best. I will write yoiu one day and tell of our first Fast Food. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Mevely317 said...

Fun subject!
I'll never forget the first time I tried a chicken-fried steak in Abilene, Tx. Heretofore, I'd always said "thanks but no thanks" b/c I didn't care for chicken. (LOL -- true story!)
Then there was the day my co-workers in Tampa invited me to a Cuban restaurant. Silly me -- I'd confused it with Mexican fare, but soon caught on. When I get back to Tampa in April I want to find that little cafe behind Raymond James stadium that served the BEST Cuban coffee. Nothing like it!

yaya said...

Like Chatty Crone I grew up in Chicago and then moved with hubby to Ohio when I was 22. Italian beef sandwiches and Portillo's hot dogs were a favorite then. Can't find them here...oh, don't forget Chicago style pizza. My favorite sandwich is a Rueben but I'm not sure when I discovered them. Monte Cristo sandwich is also one I had in Chicago but don't see too often here. Mom lived in Chicago her whole life and in the house Dad built until she passed away at 94. However, she traveled the world but always loved home best. Take care Jack!