Saturday, February 25, 2023

Small towns

Today’s one of a kind:

 Somebody really wanted a Caddy very badly!

This will be the last of one of a kind vehicles.... Not sure what is next! Maybe animals?

 Some thoughts for today:

But first, yep still having trouble commenting on several blogs. At least I am able to post ‘anonymously’ on some that allow the ANON comments.

Some just say posting, but do not post.

Susan K is one that won’t let me comment no matter how many good or ‘bad’ words I say.  Some I want to say something, one especially lately about the town where She was raised, comparing it to Mayberry. I agreed with her, Don K played Barney perfectly.

My mind traveled very quickly to the small town of Belmont, NC. Sherry’s home town. When I arrived here in 1954 it was a great small town, with all the atmosphere. NOT so anymore, we are a room for the city of Charlotte, fewer and fewer people live here that even remember when folks walked to town during the week and walked to church on Sunday.

Many people raised hogs and chickens. Had hog killings and gathered fresh eggs.  Now both are illegal within the city limits.

I would move to the country, but this is Sherry’s hometown and no one is going to run her out!  LOL.  Fortunately here on our acre, we have enough trees to feel like we are out of town a times.  Many days there are more cars stopped at traffic lights that existed in the county in the 50’s.  ;-)

Anyway, are you familiar with small towns?

Do they still exist where you are?

Nite Shipslog

PS:  This is Gary.....

This was his school!

You learn a lot on the net. We were very surprised that Brother Gary ( https://oldboomerwoodys.blogspot.com/) up in New York who is younger that we are, attended a one room School house and walked to school. That was easy to believe down south, but we had no idea it would be in NY.

5 comments:

Susan Kane said...

Jack, my Google programming is testy these days. I had been cut off commenting on your blog as well. And other bloggers are having the same problems. War on Bloggers?

Anyway, I love seeing and hearing about you and Sherry.

Lisa said...

I remember going through all the same commenting mess. I messed around and somehow got it fixed but do not know how I did it. I wasn’t sure if it was through the settings on my Google profile or Blogger? It seemed to be something with “third party somethings”.

You know I grew up in the town of Belmont too until Nick planted me 10 miles away to Gtown. Belmont has really grown in the past 15 years. We talk about wanting to move back to Belmont, but as the town grows, so doest the price of houses. I visit there often. We like all the little food joints around there.

Lisa

Chatty Crone said...

We do have small towns but you have to drive to them. lol
Jack, I am having TROUBLES receiving blog comments. I don't get a couple emailed to me - like yours - tried to fix it. I sure fixed it - now I don't get any! And I can't go back. I am going crazy!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Most of our small towns have grown in leaps and bounds with housing developments. People trying to move a way from busy cities. One of sons lives with a cornfield in his back yard, but that probably won't last long. A lot of farmers are selling their land for retirement income. Someday they may have a new development in their back yard instead of corn. Small towns are treasures if you can find one!

Mevely317 said...

You've no idea how often I've flirted with the notion of visiting my home town once more. But from what I've seen on-line it's nothing like what I remember. Better, I think, keeping those memories in my mind v. being rudely surprised.
Coming from the Phoenix metro, Millbrook/Coosada at first felt like Mayberry RFD ... in a good way, that is. But after a while I'm realizing it's not so small after all. Maybe, like Goldilocks I'm thinking it fits "just right"! (LOL)