Tuesday, February 7, 2023

  I saw a potbellied stove on Gary’ Blog

Today’s one of a kind:

 
A little hauler over in the UK

Some thoughts for today:

Old Gary at https://oldboomerwoodys.blogspot.com/ made some interesting statements in his latest entry. The old sailor turned civilian law enforcement found a sweet lady, Anna Mae that would put up with him. ;-).

 Funny when we folks down south hear New York we see NYC!   Until I visited the backcountry of New York I thought it was all pavement and skyscrapers. Now a man younger than I talks about a pot bellied stove in his school and walking to school in zero and below weather in New York!

Also he mentioned schools seldom closed because of weather there.  The same here in North Carolina but we NEVER had the weather he described. Even though we were in the undeveloped South, we did have those warm radiators to get close to in cold weather.

I have seen stoves like the one above with the belly just as red as that flame inside many times.

BUT it set me to thinking of the churches and the houses of my childhood that used the cast iron potbellied stoves. I mean, absolutely RED HOT glowing red to warm a room, church or house. Kids could take a stick and touch the belly and it would burst into flame immediately. Of course a boy could get a quick ‘swat’ when caught doing that.  At least that is what I have heard,  ;-)

Of course around old folks when things like Pot Bellied stoves are mentioned, there comes stories of the pedal sewing machine, wringer washers and the old black wash pot.

But I ain’t going there.  LOL

Love you all, come back later for more corny stories.

Nite Shipslog

PS: Blogs, I ain’t even gonna mention Chatty and eating bugs!  :-O   https://chattycrone.blogspot.com/2023/02/would-you-eat-bugs.html

6 comments:

NanaDiana said...

I grew up with one of those stoves in the living room and a wood stove for cooking in the kitchen. Father changed to a furnace when I was 5 or 6 for fear one of us kids would fall against the stove and get burned. I remember how afraid I was to get too close to the stove.
We trooped through snow to get to the school bus and it was an hour long ride to school off the mountain both ways. Long ago...
Have a wonderful day, Jack. Hugs- Diana

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I arranged a school where they had a pot belly stove for heat. I stood so close, my dress caught fire but the teacher quickly put it out. I'm glad I suffered no burns. One of my aunts and uncles had one in their living room for heat for the whole house. How times have changed. We are blessed to have whole house heat brown through the furnace pipes and comes out through registers. I love the memories you share that make me think of some of mine.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That was supposed to be I attended a school where they had a pot belly stove.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Ah ... the good old days with coal fired heat ... today it is all electric. I remember in them days central heating meant sitting down in a circle and sucking strong mints!

God bless.

Mevely317 said...

The only pot-bellied stoves I've seen are those electric faux-fireplaces. I love hearing stories and reading the others' comments. Almost makes me wish I'd been born a little sooner.
I hope you'll be share more memories!

Chatty Crone said...

I love your memories - but I think you must have been the one swat. I didn't even have coal in our house - but my husband did.
We are sure blessed to be in America and so far we don't have have to eat bugs.