Sunday, February 26, 2023

Square

 Cars and animals:

 Okay, take me to the next construction site.


 Some thoughts for today:

I covered a lot of ground in my life. Always searching for THAT JOB.  That job that I would love. I enjoyed many occupations over my years, but once I started building I hated to see Saturday come and loved to see Monday roll around. I loved my work. I preferred Speculative building but did so some custom homes. The spec home was my own choice of size, shape, color and bath & light fixtures.

Things had to be square.  I noticed myself in church with my note papers trying to make them all SQUARE.  I was shocked into reality as a memory of a dear friend flooded my mind.

Kenneth Conrad, I met the man in Missouri. A great guy with German knowhow. After his tour in WWII he was mustering out of the Army in Florida. He and a beautiful lady (of Florida) fell in love. Eileen was a professional singer with the voice of an angel. She left the modern facilities of Florida, i.e. the city, hot / cold running water and inside plumbing and moved to a farm in Missouri with a well and outhouse.

Their love brought 10 kids into the world and made a great family.  We became close friends. As his life progressed he farmed 40 acres and worked a day job in a factory. I always admired his abilities, keeping everything on the farm going.

(Kenneth and Eileen,  She had a voice that would bring the house down.)

(Kenneth was a man's man. The hunter, the farmer, the 'make it work' man)

Kenneth’s mind started leaving him. The last time I saw him was at his daughter Glenda’s home in Okeechobee Florida.  He no longer knew me but as we sat together at a table I watched as he matched squares up. He formed designs on the table with napkins and paper.  That came back to me in reality as I found myself matching up squares.  Am I losing it?

(Kenneth did not know me here)

In the military I stayed ‘squared-away,’ but now small things shake my tree! Maybe I am Square…  We seldom use napkins, but we use ‘paper towels’.  I find myself trying to make smaller squares out of them. Imma going to try to stop, and quit worrying about things being SQUARE!

Nite Shipslog

8 comments:

NanaDiana said...

I am a square things up sort of person, too. Always have been. When I was a kid I always doodled squares and cubes. lol. My son is a builder and he is the same way. lol.
I wish I could have heard that gal sing. Some people can move souls with their songs-she sounds like one of them. Hugs- Diana

Mevely317 said...

Funny, isn't it, the little habits (peculiarities) we pick up. Unlike your square, my obsession (lol) is making things odd (v. even). For instance! When I see the water glasses lined up in the cabinet two-by-two-by-two, I have to stop and move one. Isn't that silly?

How sad, your friend's cognitive decline. Terrifying, actually. Your friendship so dear, it reminds me of that poem, "Some people come into your life and leave footprints on your heart."

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You have some wonderful memories of your friend and no matter what life gives us somethings just never change. Even though he didn't remember you you still remember him the way he was. Those squares had some meaning to both of you. Living where I do, I'm not sure if everything is square. The house seems to shift with the weather and sometimes I have trouble opening a door. That's how I know all is not square. Napkins are cheaper than paper towels and I use them all the time. You should try them in memory of your friend.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Such a sad story about your friend. But your friendship endured and I'm certain made God smile upon you.

You're a good man, Jack. Don't search for your faults, praise God for who you are - a gift to many others.

God bless.

Lisa said...

The last time you talked to him, I’m glad yall didn’t square off? Ok. Sorry , I had too.
I hate that your friend forgot who you were. That is sad. The picture of him looking at you is cute. He sounded like a great friend and left you with lots of memories.

Lisa

yaya said...

Hi Jack! Sometimes our work or passion gets into our veins and we do things that we've learned...like making things square...for the rest of our lives! I would want a builder who does make things square! After working in surgery for so many years I have a hard time not being busy or checking off things on a to do list. I'm sorry your friend has forgotten you but someplace, deep inside, I'm sure he's still there and you have the memories to enjoy from your friendship. Have a good week Jack!

Pam said...

HAHA....okay, I read Nana Diana's comment...I think I am a sqaure sort of person that thinks outside that square! lol....If we are talking drawing squares like Daina stated, then when I was younger I drew the boxes, squares, that locked together making one box, but I also loved drawing lines....Did I take the square comment out of text, the wrong way? I think I am to creative to stay a square person. Its horrible when we see someone going the way of that illness, stealing all their memories from them. Horrible way to start the journey out of this life.

Chatty Crone said...

I am sorry about your friend. I am not exactly sure what you mean by being squared. I do have a place for everything and I will make sure I put it back in it's place. Very important.