Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Our new home in Belmont!

Fun in the sun. I spent the morning putting the last touches in slab prep with clearing and placing grading stakes. I somehow got the pictures out of order. LOL. This is a scene after the first truck left.

The first truck driver tearing down the chute, he has already washed it out.
Below is the end of the first truck pour. the bull float on this side is handled by a friend and concrete worker, Jerry Ward, Jerry is 68 now. Mark is on the far side with his bull float. Mark pulled Derrick of the job up the street to work with us. I said us, Sherry and the boys poured I used the camera.
This was a new wrinkle in my horn. I had never seen this little jewel. Darby is using a 12' power float. It does the work of three bull floats with much less effort. (How do you like that little thing Woody?)

Another shot of Darby and his power float. I was surprised at the size of the Concrete truck. This was a ten yard truck. When I was in business the largest was seven yards.


I switched to below photo captions for some reason, who knows why? I don't!


Darby washing off the power float using the truck hose. One thing important in concrete work is keep the tools clean. When concrete gets hard it does not forgive you for leaving it on tools.

I finally got a shot of Sherry pulling concrete as it came out the chute. Jerry is feeding it. This is the second truck, our 'tail-out' (Meaning the last order, before getting your tail out of there) was four yards. Total pour for today was 14 yards, this is a big slab.

Like everything else, there are a lot of tricks to concrete, most I never learned, used too much muscle and back work. But no matter how it is done it takes a lot of back work, and it isn't light.

This is shot is from the other end. Mark, Jerry and Darby have finished the little walkway, and are not on the last run.


Sherry is back to supervising.She that side, me this side. Darby is pulling the power float, that thing is neat. Mark and Jerry are just finishing the 'Tail-out'. WE actually had about a half yard on the tail-out truck, so they decided to just pour it on the upper side of the forms. It saves ordering a load of gravel. (I hope).
Okay, maybe tomorrow we will dance on the slab before we head out to SC for a vacation.
Yeah, we have been home three weeks, it is time for a vacation.
Thanks for sharing our slab pour with us.
Nite Shipslog
PS:
CAN VEGETARIANS EAT ANIMAL CRACKERS?
IF THE POLICE ARREST A MIME, DO THEY TELL HIM HE HAS THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT?
HOW DO THEY GET DEER TO CROSS THE ROAD ONLY AT THOSE YELLOW ROAD SIGNS?
WHAT WAS THE BEST THING BEFORE SLICED BREAD?








10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OVER THE YEARS I ENJOYED WORKING SMALL CONCRETE JOBS AROUND HOME, WITH MY LITTLE CONCRETE MIXER. BUILT A COUPLE OF SMALL HOUSES BY MYSELF. sam

Paula said...

Sherry's hair is right in place even pouring cement. You two don't sit still a minute.

Woody said...

WOW JACK, That's a nice "little" slab ya poured there. I bet that little 12 foot float saves a lot of back breaking work and by the looks it does a great job of vibrating the aggreate down into the mix. But I still see that old hand held Bull Float being dragged back and forth. "NICE JOB"!

Rose said...

Paula took the words right out of my mouth! You guys don't stay put for a minute! LOL

What is the slab for....are you building a house???? I can't keep up with you guys. LOL

You both sure have a lot of energy!

Hugs,Rose

betty said...

was anyone tempted to walk across the wet cement? See I would have been. Or sent a dog across it or something.

looks like hard work!! you two be careful!!

betty

Debbie said...

If you & Sherry get out on that slab and dance a jig before leaving for vacation make sure somebody takes pictures so we can see ya doing the "Tail Scootin' Boogie",hahahahaha.

The slab looks great!

Enjoy your vacation get away!

Love ya'll
Debbie

Coffeeveggie addict. said...

Hey,are y0u g0ing t0 build a new house?having that truck load of cement is m0re easier than what we are using in building my h0use its all d0ne manually fr0m mixing of cement to cleaning the sand and st0ne.
Nice p0st jack.
Btw,im a vegetarian and I d0n't eat animals crackers but I d0 eat vegan crackers.there are many kinds of vegetarian s0me are still having their meat 0nce in a while s0 I think maybe semi-vegetarian and pisc0vegetarian still can have that crackers.

Dar said...

nice entry...Bill would have LOVED that gas float...what a back saver...when we laid the slab for the cabin, it was Oct. and the leaves were everywhere...no way could we keep ahead of them...they made some awesome imprints in the floor. My guess, your slab is for the motorhome, correct-o-mungo??? Have a great vacation, so where we going?
Blessyourhearts

Lucy said...

Concrete pouring is really come up in this world since my X did it while in college. Of course that was around 60 years ago. So you are going on vacation.?? Have a great time. I have not told Spunky about what you said about pulling his tooth. That was not nice for him to hear. Poor baby.

Anonymous said...

any job worth doing is worth doing well...so I have been told...that is a great slab...why you can hold parties on that thing...and dances...and more parties...and yes...even park that RV of yours there...and still have enough for a party...LOL..do you get the feeling I am in the "party" mode???? in my thoughts only...my body says cool it girll!!!!! LOL..and hope you and Sherry are doing ok...gotta pace yourselves these days folks....and wherever you go for vacation and whatever you decide to do...there best be great pics and info coming forth....soon!!! sunny and warm here...KY plays basketball tonight...hubby is all set..check the blog LOL...and me too...now for some lunch...a late lunch...better than nuttin at all....love and hugs...safe trip...Ora and him