Saturday, November 27, 2010

Dog Poop and stuff

As we travel I see folks walking their dogs, picking up dog poop, and talking to the dog.  I say to my self, “that looks like a pain in the PA toot.”

English_Cocker_Spaniel_23_Dec_2003English_Cocker_Spaniel_6

(If you can picture this dog with one million cuckle-berries(the ones like little porcupines, it is a grown up sand spur) in his ears and the backs of his legs, I have sat for hours taking them out, That will teach you patience)

Pets, it doesn’t take long for me to remember the greatest dog that ever lived, Ace. He was a Black English Cocker Spaniel. He was the love of my life until Sherry came along. Hahahaha!

grand dogs

(Hendrix & Layla, grand dogs (Sherece))

I don’t know whether I have told this or not, I would be amazed if I haven’t. But my aunt Annie Mae Harbinson, gave me a little black puppy at one of my low times as a child. I named him Ace and he changed my attitude fast. He was beautiful and a great dog, that was a friend.

fat-pug-fat-dog-cute-dogs-loldogs1191990474pembroke_welsh_corgi

He would listen when no one else would. Once I got put out back of the house to live. I had my own little home-made 8’x8’ trailer made of masonite, Ace lived with me. We had our own radio and he would listen with me to all the radio programs, until late at night, sometimes we were awake until eleven PM. LOL. It is amazing how real ‘Mr & Mrs North’, ‘The Squeaking Door’, the ‘Green Hornet’, ‘Long Ranger’, ‘Beulah’, (Was there a Green lantern?), ‘The FBI in Peace and War’, ‘Matt Dillon’ (who handled the killers and spoilers), ‘Can You top This’ and ‘If By a Stroke of Fate’ were. Ace could keep me warm, he did give me a funny look when I laughed during the funny ones, Ace smiled but did not laugh..

cute-dogs-4904292-450-431beagle

Ace went everywhere with me. In the summer time, even to church, at least to the door. He would lie at the side door of the church with his head inside (I thought about Ace when Paula told about their church dog down in Texas). You probably know that in the 40’s & 50’s, most churches were not air conditioned. He was just accepted as part of the church and family. He loved to swim. When he and I went fishing, he was glad when they weren’t biting, because we would go swimming.

cute_dogs-t2

Ace lived off table scraps, and when there was not enough for him and the hog, he got Dash Dog Food. Yep, he ate chicken bones about every Sunday. Now my kids and grand kids say dogs aren’t supposed to eat Chicken bones. I am glad Ace didn’t know that.

Thanks for coming by the log.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

WHY ATHLETES CAN'T HAVE REGULAR JOBS...
Shelby Metcalf, basketball coach at Texas A&M, recounting what he told a player who received four F's and one D:
    "Son, looks to me like you're spending too much time on one subject."

100_1020 - Copy

And finally grand dog, MJ

6 comments:

betty said...

Ace sounded like a wonderful dog and a great companion!! Just what a boy your age needed at the time!! (loved the picture of the corgi; looked a lot like Koda :)

I always clean up after Koda on our walk and I've been known to talk to him a lot (and sometimes he answers :)

have a great Sunday!

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Dogs are wonderful but right now I'm thankful I don't have one. I had one all through my life until last year and now I think my walking and clean up after one days are over. But I have great memories just like you of a faithful friend who was always there and ready to listen. I do have many grand'dogs' too so when I need one to love it seems one is always around anyway. I hope your Sunday is a great one!

Ally Lifewithally said...

Thankyou for a lovely read this Sunday ~ It is so true when they say "Dogs are a Mans best Friend" ~ Ace sounded like the perfect Companion ~ Ally x

Paula said...

I just spent six days with a spoiled dog named Roxy. Didn't make it back in time for church but John said Shelby did come to church and the preacher's wife held her all during church. Nice doggie read.

Fred Alton said...

Memories of child and his dog are always great reading. We had them, but because we moved so much (I think) the dogs did not go with us. Had a pure-bred bird dog once but it got loose and out into the major highway and went to doggie heaven after only three months. But love the "boy and his dog" stories. Our friend David Beaty had a dog once that would go out to the car and retrieve the car keys on command!

Anonymous said...

Dogs are said to be the sixth sense, for humans.

Please have you all a good start into the new week.