Sunday, June 3, 2012

I Wish I had… OR…Before I die, I want to-------

Growing up I never really thought much past, NOW. (I think that is normal.)  After I grew up ‘some’, and learned to appreciate  things in life, I appreciated the fact that some people seemed to know what they wanted from the Git-go. Example, a person who knew they wanted to be a dentist at 14 yrs old and worked toward that goal. The same with a nurse or doctor.  Some positions and jobs in life REQUIRE planning and preparations.

I guess I had one goal, that was to be a Marine. I have no idea why I picked that, but in my mind, that was it.

As I grew older I started hearing ‘OLD FOLK’, some as old as their 40’s(hehe), saying things like, “Man, I wish I had bought that property down on the river!  it is worth a mint now.”

OR

“I wish I had saved a little more, I would be out of debt now.”

OR

“I wish I had taken care of myself, I wouldn’t be in this shape.”

(We knew a man with diabetes, who said, “I don’t care if my life is shortened by ten years, I am gonna eat what I want.”  He did, before he died he lost both feet, then both legs, lost his mind and was a terrible burden to his family. Before he lost his mind, he expressed to my Brother in law, “Why did God allow this to happen to me?” Stupidity is why, but Dick

held his peace.)

Fortunately I made some good choices, (maybe they were luck).  Who knows? BUT I remember distinctly LEARNING I don’t want to get old and my life be filled with regrets.

Recently, we sat on the couch, Sherry and I, I told her, ‘If I go tomorrow, honey, I have no regrets. You have made my life wonderful’ (and she has).

We know, unless by a stroke of fate, we both are taken from this life together, ONE of is will be left. We don’t dwell on it, but we have made some arrangements.

Some of our friends (locally) and on the net, have lost a dearly loved mate. I have no way to understand what you feel, but I do know this, memories do not take the place of ones gone, but they sure as heck make you feel good when the good memories come around. We haven’t lost a mate, but we both have lost parents and brothers and sisters. AND WE MISS THEM.

Sorry, not sure where this all came from, but thanks for coming this way!!!

Nite Shipslog

PS: Unforgettable signs:

On a Plumber's truck:

"We repair what your husband fixed."

**************************

One Woman asked, “Why do men die first?”

image005

One answer! (Nah it won’t fall!)

image006

2 answers (Well it wouldn’t go in the door!)

image002

3 answers(You have to reach it someway!)

image009

4 answers (these men trust hydraulics!)

9 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Memories are good things and life goes on...I am one that lost my mate, but before that happened we created a wonderful family. My family keeps me going for sure. All I ever wanted to be was a wife and a mom and I never have had any regrets about that. I never wanted to be more than what I am. No regrets and lots of wonderful memories make for a grand life. It was very chilly here yesterday, but I think it's to warm up some today. Have a wonderful Sunday!

betty said...

LOL with the pictures; my gosh the man with the ladder balanced so dangerously so!!

I've had a few regrets, but I've learned I can grow from them and share my experience about them with others so they perhaps don't make the same decisions I did and then later down the road have their own regrets. For the most part, I have had a very nice life, many blessings from God.

You are right, the inevitable will happen and one more than likely will be left behind. The nice thing is though, no matter how much time may pass before the other one joins the one gone, then you'll be together for eternity and that will be a very good thing!!

So we just enjoy each and every day we have here the best we can :)

betty

Anonymous said...

after Don died a lot of folks said "you have your memories"...well yeah I do and that's a good thing...suppose when people died all memory of that person was erased...not a good thought! however I'm here to tell you that in the pitch black aloneness of the night or the stark brilliance of a sunny day...memories are bittersweet...they help and they hurt!

those photos at the end are hilarious and SCARY! I mean really...sometimes the brain just doesn't engage does it!

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness you have caught me right after seeing A Walk To Remember - and I was sad about that - and thinking about this makes me a bit sad too.

I think you had an thought and expressed what we all feel from time to time. I think I heard you say how much you loved your wife and I know she feels that way about you.

You will both have great memories of one another.

sandie

TARYTERRE said...

Saying goodbye to one you love is never easy, it's true. And understanding that kind of grief before it hits you is impossible to imagine. I have many regrets in my life. but I can't dwell on them. So I move forward one day at a time.

shirl72 said...

You probably had that on your mind
after my e-mails last night.
Memories are wonderful but cannot
take the place of your mate. It
is a lonely life. Life want stand
still so we keep going and facing
the day.

Shirl

Anonymous said...

Thoughtful entry which made me mind a bit blank. Thank you.

Please have you all a good new week.

Lucy said...

That last picture is a doozie.Wow, that just dated me. I never hear doozy any more. I think about who will go first, Joe or me. I don't feel to worried about being in the ground, the kids will make sure both of us get buried.We have our plot so that much is taken care of. Joe said "after you, meaning me are gone, the kids will never come around. Ron and Kathy are the ones who come over nearly every Sunday and it won't stop when I am gone unless Joe continues with his negativity. Ron handles it well.

Louis la Vache said...

WOW! You've got some fine examples of "Men In Need of Female Supervision" here!
;-D