Friday, July 2, 2021

Traffic, squirrels and rats

 Cars in memorial:

 I loved this '51, my brother Odis had one. It was this color, maybe all Crestliners were, I am not sure.


For today:

Things sure change in a short 60 years. Belmont was a small Cotton Mill town. Now the mills are gone, we make beer in town now, and we might have one mill of the orig 26 left. The city of Charlotte has pulled all of the small towns surrounding it, under its wings. We are now a bed room for Charlotte. I heard lately that the council has approved 800 more homes down near the South Fork River and stated it would not affect the our traffic flow. (That is in addition to the thousands they already approved.) WHAT? Wait, that might be true because at going to work and getting off time there isn’t much flow at all it is at a standstill. LOL.

Belmont was a Textile center. MANY southern towns were, We produced something from thread to cloth, to clothes.

The only thing I KNOW that Charlotte produces is Plumbing PIPE! Charlotte Pipe Company is one of the largest in the south. But other than that it seems the rest is paper work??

I said all that because I just came from helping with rat control at a grandson’s house in Charlotte. We located the entry ‘hole’ and covered it. Then repaired some ‘rat’ damage. I did tell him rat control was much better that working in a septic tank. LOL When I headed home and hit the Interstate it was moving at a crawl from Charlotte to Belmont.

The day before that I was helping a sweet widow with Squirrel control, LOL. I climbed a ladder and worked in three layers of metal in that case, I am hoping at least it slows them down. Is squirrel control an Oxymoron? It is sorta like ‘herding cats’ methinks.



I hear Myra’s Tom is enjoying (?) facing some squirrels down. LOL .  I think they stole his gun and stuck out their tongues.  ;-).

My side volunteer jobs are done and I will get back to finishing my yard work.

Nite Shipslog.

PS:

8 comments:

betty said...

Its good, Jack, you are available for those volunteer jobs :) I'm sure they are much appreciated! Times do make towns change and sadly sometimes that means more traffic :(

betty

Glenda said...

Traffic sounds like snow bird season in Okeechobee! It's awful, long lines in turn lane off SR 70 to get to the main drag on Hwy 441 where a whole lot of seniors are en route to the Golden Corral or "Mom's Kitchen!
Lordy, lordy you have had some grim jobs lately, hope Sherry just had to make breakfasts!!!
Have a safe and happy Independence Day, Love and hugs. Glenda

Mevely317 said...

Hahahaha. I just read your remark to Tom and he got a big smile on his face.
Your get-r-done ethic is sure a blessing, both to family and friends. I love our squirrels, but can't imagine them running amok in the attic.

I don't know what to make of all the traffic we see on the news. Phoenix, for instance, had such a population explosion years back (that) it took the city planners years to catch up. I took back roads to work (by choice) but the commute was still an hour; sometimes more.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

You are so kind to be helping your family with various jobs that need doing. Take care my friend.

God bless you and yours always.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Your jobs seem unending and better than the sewer cleanup for sure. Still pest control seems unending/ I had pesty mice here last winter and think they are gone now for the summer, but I'm prepared if they comeback. I've mow proufed my house and there is nothing they can get into now. I keep decon and traps set all the time. Living here is an adventure. I just finally got rid of ants that came in the Spring. They are pest s too. Who knew they don't like Dawn dish soap. Seems to have done the trick anyway.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my gosh we have fought squirrels for years and spent a fortune!

Dar said...

Cute lil car, Otis had. I don't even mind the color. You're the man to call for pest control, sewer duty, changing windows, doors and eradicating squirrels and rats? Man, you ARE the MAN!!! We could have used you today at the farm as the walkway to mama's front door was overrun with tiny ants...millions of them. Ant and Roach killer didn't work so Eric torched them. Things have changed so much here too with the papermill down, a fire destroying an apartment complex and resale store, nearly a restaurant. Everything in town looks different. It's pretty grim. We also do like Myra's Tom....bang, another gopher bites the dust. I'm glad things are back to your ' normal.' Have a beautiful 4th Jack n' Sherry. love you guys
hugs n' giggles from up north where we visited a cousin we hadn't seen in over 40 years. It was a great day.

Florence said...


I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website www.ultimatelifeclinic.com. I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!