Wednesday, January 4, 2023

How long should records be kept!

  ONE of A KIND

 



I think this is the Hill Billy version RV.. 57 chev, 50 buick grill hauling a truck camper.

So for today, anwer is FOREVER methinks LOL:

Last year I decided to make space in the basement so I could add an apartment. I had files stored. Every check I had written for 30-35 yrs in business. I had files for every house I had built and sold; EVEN THE ORIG HOUSE PLANS. I was told to hold all records for 7 years for legal purposes. Of course they did not fill the basement but were in the way.

I decided to destroy them all. The volume was too much for a shredder. I used buckets and barrels. Filled buckets with paper/checks and added water. They soaked for awhile then used the power mixer I use for sheetrock mud. In less than 2 hours they were all mush I let the moisture drain for a day and then trashed it all.

BUT now 25 years after building the DUPLEX (Condos) we now have. There is now a BIG question about our Duplex water. IF I had not destroyed the files all I would have to do is pull that file. :-O

When you build in the city you must get the plans approved then permits. You must buy water and sewer taps. I was allowed to tie the two units into one sewer line, but I am sure I had to buy two water taps.

(Above is the Duplex You see only one side they split in the middle of the garages, both have a garage in the basement. If you can see the flag, it is in front of  the side we live in, part time, we rented it and leased it for 20+ years as we traveled)

A neighbor let us know there was a terrible leak at our water meter. Our Grandsons Matthew and Luke repaired it for us. I asked them to look at the other meter, they could not find another meter. Son Mark who helped me build the condos (we call a duplex) was up a week ago and could not find but one. When I am home I cut the grass weekly, now for the life of me I cannot remember seeing but one. And for some reason never thought a thing about it.

If we only have one meter, we and everyone who has rented and leased our side has paid the other sides water bill.  Over 25 years;that is about $6000 paid for the other side.

If this is true, I have no one to blame but me, I built the danged houses.  I hope I find a hidden water meter when we go home in a few weeks, and I won’t feel so danged stupid!                          ;-O  ;-)

Nite Shipslog

PS: about Yesterday's post on the pig. MA said her grandmother used everybit of the pig when butchered.  I had to laugh at that because dady would say, we used it all except the OINK!  Even our soap came from the pig.

PS2: A duplex becomes a Condo when each side is deeded separately.

4 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Your duplex/condo is so picturesque! But what a mystery about the water meter; I'd have guessed someone/your renters would have asked.
I always held to the 7-year rule myself. Even that, it's amazing how much paper can pile up. Your solution to destroy it is darn novel! When we moved, I finally took bags-full to Office Depot and had them shred it all for $1/pound.

Chatty Crone said...

I do not believe in all those years that someone paid for all the water for both - it must be somewhere - please let us know when you find it!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Amazing story - check with the water company how many statements they send and to whom? Let us know what you discover. There's an electric switch in our house that is always ON. I don't know what it is connected to. Perhaps all the street lights; or the sausage factory down the road.

God bless.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have a lot of paperwork that goes back for years. Sometime I take the oldest and let my son burn it in his fire pit. My daughter has tried to convince me I now only need to save things for 5 years. I rhought it was 7. I'll say when we throw something away, that is when we find we needed it. Never fails here. If you had two water meters, I think you would receive two water bills. If that hasn't happened I'd say you only have one meter. They aren't going to go without billing you. HA!