Sunday, January 8, 2023

Thinking

 One of a kind:

This RV gets your attention!


Some thoughts for today:

I have come to a place in life where noises and crowds confuse me. Today I sat in church and listened to a lot of good advice. It is seldom I hear enough to actually know the deep thoughts of some speakers.  However today, was different. The speaker was demonstrative, that is, he did move some, used his hands and arms as he spoke. He used a level of his voice so that I understood MUCH of what he said. It really feels good.

I am amazed at the speakers today who have NO IDEA how many people actually understand what is said.  There are a lot of reasons for this.  Some are TOO LOUD, some do not know how to use a microphone.  

I am no expert, looking back at my own life when I taught, when I presented programs; I see where I could have done much better; I should have taken some SPEECH LESSONS.  Voice lessons would also have helped.

My hearing situation has contributed much to my decision to attempt the hike I plan.  I remember how pleasant it was to ‘walk in the woods;’ seeing and hearing nothing but God’s created nature. He set it into motion and it continues.  Of Course Sherry and I talked a lot as we back-packed 1800+ miles of the AT (Appalachian Trail), but most of the time she was behind me or ahead of me up to 100 yards.  We were both in our own world.

She sees the pictures I took and says many times, “You take a lot of pictures of my behind!” 

 

On this trip I won’t see her behind, but I will remember it! ;-)

Above she is going under a dead fall across the trail.

Below she handled the rocks very well (So yes I will see some beautiful views, and I will miss some pretty ones too!

Family situations have slid my starting date from Jan 17th to Jan 23rd. The latest date is now the 26th of January. I hope there is no more delay. Already there are 25-35 people registered to start before me. Two will start on the same day. I may see them or I may not, there is no set time to begin in the day.  However, I do hope to start in the morning of the first day.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

9 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Wishing you well on your long walk, Jack.

It's true, some church speakers are good at making you listen and remembering what they said. I know one who makes me fall asleep as soon as he starts his sermons. He is really very slow and monotonous and his sermons last ages. The young newly weds twenty-year-olds sitting in-front of me at church this morning were playing with their grand-children by the time he finished his sermon.

God bless you and your family.

Woody said...

Enjoyed the Post on Hiking ! While Camping we would walk a lot of the Trails in the Camp Grounds, we didn't talk that much as we were one ahead or 1 behind and mostly we looked for Flowers, (Jack in the Pulpits) and (Wild Ginseng).
On "Preaching" when I filled the Pulpit I made sure I spoke directly outward towards the Congregation, Our Church had 3 sections and I made sure I moved my head in 3 directions.
Take Care and sending down Love and Care from the Wintry North ! Gary and Anna Mae

Chatty Crone said...

Glad you were able to hear a sermon! Gosh I would be so incredibly scared to go by myself. So a week later. Sending prayers.

Mevely317 said...

Reading your comments (over Victor's shoulder), I'm lifting prayers for your peace of mind -- and possibly, a good night's sleep. God is in the details!

Lisa said...

I admire you. I would love to take a hike. Nick says no. Your gonna have a great time out there alone with nature. Your girl will sure miss you though I’m sure of it. I can’t wait to see pictures and read stories of your adventure.

Lisa

Cher' Shots said...

You still amaze me. I know I'm younger than you but not quite as ambitious. Wishing you the best and safe hiking wherever those trails take you. Love from afar, Cheryl & Thom

yaya said...

I missed a few of your previous posts so I went back to check what you've been up too. I know getting ready for this hike is top on the list. I enjoyed the pics from hiking with your honey and I think you will miss those views! Ha! I'm glad you could hear those sermons...don't we all need to hear some good Christian teaching?! Hearing loss and vision loss are the things that lead some to dementia in their later years. I'm glad to see you're not one of them! You're energy and determination are inspiring! Have a good week Jack and Sherry!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I don't think there is any better way to start the week than by going to church. Having a good sermon is a bonus. That you are able to hear it is a blessing for sure. It sound somewhat lonely being by yourself on the trail. Hope you meet up with some fellow hikers. A little solitude is fine, but then it would be nice to have someone to talk to.

Susan Kane said...

My old hometown had a weird selection of pastor. They were pretty inconsistent. I was sitting in the front row with the pastor next to me. He was thumbing through his Bible, searching for something. I saw the address and then he proceeded to preach from it. Sadly, that was his habit.

Your journey should be interesting! Sherry is ambitious. I also hate when my husband takes photos from behind.