Thursday, January 12, 2023

Me and the Cops

 Today’s one of a kind:

 Not sure this '58 Chevy is legal in all states.LOL

....................

I found some pictures from the AT Nothing to do with today's post. But of course, on my mind. WE loooked down on some pretty scenes.

Vermont country side below, Above is the first tree we saw, cut by beavers.

Some thoughts for today:

 I have worked with attorneys I liked, tolerated and disliked.  All my experience in that area was in business. My favorite attorney was Vickie W, she is one of the best. Her ‘closings’ were never boring.  They were so interesting I once asked if I could bring my granddaughter so she could see a lady attorney at work. I did, Sherece enjoyed the experience.

In religious circles you find not everyone who chooses to be known as a Christian, acts like one. You may have known some saints and scoundrels, we have.

Policemen?  I grew up respecting the ‘men in the blue uniform.’ My first personal contact was Sgt Claude Setzer. He was a member of Dad’s church in Belmont. He was a gentleman and easy to like.

Real quick story:

Scotty H. a good friend. Stopped me one day in a store and said, “Jack you know Claude, right?”

 "YES."

“I used to drink too much and on Saturday nights he would follow me home from the beer joint. Once I was in the yard he would honk, and drive on.  I asked him one day why didn’t you give me a ticket?  Claude just smiled and said, I knew you would drive careful if I was following, and you did. I just wanted you safe.”


State's Officer Burris was a little different, he seemed to enjoy giving tickets. He gave me my first ticket, it was for loud mufflers. After chasing me down (not much of a chase when you are driving a 48 Chevy and he a 56 Police special V8.). standing by the car and said, “Let’s hear ‘em?”

He finally settled for a $35 ticket. He wasn’t my favorite person, but he was right.

Once in the USMC Sherry and I and another couple were going home for the weekend (1956). I encountered my worst time with an officer. He charged me with speeding and I was not. The judge in a one horse town fined me $45, threatened to throw me in jail and make me miss ship’s movement, a courts martial offense.  Between us 4 we raised the money.  But in that incident the judge and the officer were both smiling, and even did some laughing at our expense.

·         All professions have nuts and odd balls, but from my experiences there are many more GOOD folks than bad.  I have a feeling that Woody (Old Woody's Boomer Page )  is one of the Good Guys! Always respect the men in Blue.  There is a rule in life and in scripture, “Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them do Unto YOU!

Nite Shipslog

5 comments:

Mevely317 said...

I've never seen the result of a tree felled by beavers. That's wild!
I so love the story of that cop following you home to ensure you arrived safely. Not so much the other jerk and judge; I want to believe they finally got their due. But at the same time, wish it was me driving the Karma bus! I'm still sore about a similar incident that happened to me just north of Port Charlotte. Doesn't do me any good, but ya. With all the sad incidents of crazed cop-killers out there, methinks they need to rethink the way they speak to people.

Still respecting the blue, and glad to be alive!
xo

Victor S E Moubarak said...

As you say, there's good and bad in every walk of life. That's why I take the bus.

Years ago when I was young a policeman stopped me at night. I was driving with the lights off. He said, "Do you realise your lights are off? A policeman could stop you and give you a penalty ticket!" And he let me go.

That was a good lesson which I learnt well.

God bless.

Chatty Crone said...

You know I had the exact same experience as you did - a small town with my friends. Said I did a rolling stop and almost hit someone - I did not!
He pulled us down to jail and we all had to come up with cash right then and there!

yaya said...

I've only had 2 tickets in my life and the last one was many years ago and I was caught by plane. My niece is a police officer in Chicago and has had it with the force. She's going to retire soon even though she's only 45. Folks don't respect the police like we were taught to do. I'll be happy when she's no longer in danger. Have a good weekend Jack and Sherry! Snow has arrived here again but then the warm air..50de..is back by Monday. Makes me have weather whiplash!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've received two tickets and deserved both of them. They involved car accidents. I honor and love the men in blue for all that they do to keep us safe. Little do we know the dangers they face every day for us.. There mey be some bad ones but thankfully I haven't met one. Hope I never do.