Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Ignorance, ok, but it is hard to explain stupidity

  Today’s one of a kind:

 

(I remember it was much warmer with two people in the tent!  LOL)

Synopsis, a lot of repeating:

I was dropped me off a mile from the trail head. It was just above freezing. I had walked this very trail 20+ years ago. I remembered it as a ridge walk, sorta level along the ridge, Sherry did too! BUT in fact it was rocky and uphill. LOL I had figured the walk at 20 minutes. It was nearly an hour. I knew then it was going to be tough.

In reality I only hiked 17 miles on the AT in 3 days.  I climbed about 5 or 6 small mountains, a total of about 3500 feet.

 I have never understood anyone ‘getting lost on the AT’; I did it three times. I had a pack pedometer it reads almost 60,000 steps, about 28 miles.

I figured I cost myself 7 or 8 miles in those lost miles. The one that HURT bad, was leaving Hawk mountain shelter, I missed the AT and climbed up Hawk Mt. That is straight up practically. After a while there was a sign “This is NOT the AT!”  HONEST.  I stood there and said out loud, ”Then why didn’t you post this back down there where I got on it.”  I about cried, but I just laughed out loud saying, “You are a dumb OLD man!”  LOL I turned and walked back down.

I mentioned this before. On one mountain I was trying to reach the next shelter. I was stopping every 25-40 feet to lean on a tree. I was beat, took off my pack and lay down in the frost. I actually went to sleep. I got up and walked the wrong direction 5 or 6 miles. I came to a cemetery.  Could there be two similar cemeteries on the trail? I checked the closest tombstone, then realized it was the one I had passed earlier.  So I pitched the tent, it was getting dark.

We had a friend who got frost bite on the trail in late fall, I also worried about that. I moved around and shook a lot in the sleeping bag. I shook harder than I was shivering just to try to stay warm LOL.

Any way I thought I could do it, even though the consensus of family and friends was, ‘It will be too cold you cannot do it.’

Truly it was at least 10 degrees lower than I expected. BUT I had to try.

Most of all I hated that my wife and son drove so far to deliver and retrieve me, they were great.

I did tell her if I EVER mentioned this again to just shoot me! LOL

Nite Shipslog

6 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Are you saying that they came and got you? That's okay. I bet you did better than any of your friends could do here. I would make a block. Good luck.

Mevely317 said...

You're still a rock star, Jack. I'll bet your own bed never felt so good. Not to mention, your sweetheart.

Lisa said...

Don’t beat yourself over it. I admire your will to achieve. I’m sure Sherry was glad you turned in. You inspire me with your walking stories and I still want to do it one day.

Lisa

Unknown said...

Don't be so hard on yourself, you've done better than most of us would. Give yourself a pat on the back.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I agree you get an A for effort. Not many of us would even attempt doing that. I never camped in a tent and never wanted to. I only wanted a warm camper. My idea of a hike these days is walking through the grocery store. No mountains there. I even have trouble going up the smallest incline. You go Jack and thanks for sharing.

Woody said...

I'm Proud of you ! More courageous than I, You gave it your "Best Shot" and at least tried. Gary