Monday, January 2, 2023

“You can smell our BUTTS for miles!”

 Today’s one of a kind:

Not built for the road, actually just created for a photographer,I think for a practical joke. The dude must think the photo is worth a lot....



 
Some thoughts for today:

The Boston Butt comes from the pig of course

I do not know why I checked, ‘but’ I have wondered where the cut was on the pig and why the name? I have been to several hog killings many times and never heard anyone say, "Cut the Boston butt for me?" One big hog fed our family on pork for a year. I never knew my mama to say, "Tonight it is Boston Butt!"

From the net:

You can buy a whole pork shoulder at some grocery stores, but you'll commonly find the shoulder cut into two pieces. The upper part is our Boston butt (sometimes called "blade roast"), and it comes from right behind the pig's neck and typically contains a small piece of the shoulder blade. The lower part is called the picnic ("arm roast") and includes the rest of the leg down to the hock.

Also from the net:

The second half of the name—the butt part—has led to all sorts of cutesy names for competition barbecue teams and restaurants (Big Butts, Rubbin' Butts, Smokin' Butts.) It offers endless opportunities for titillating restaurant slogans, like "No One Can Touch our Butts" and "You Can Smell Our Butts for Miles."

I now know where the cut is from, but wondered about the name. I found this (paraphrased): Some disagree but in research Pork shoulders shipped along with other parts of the pig from Boston was in barrels that were called ‘butts’.

 ME: “If many more parts were shipped, then why pick this part to stick the name butts on?  ;-)

Well at least my curiosity is satisfied, at least I know the BUTT is not from the but, but from further up the pig.  Well I am happier today! ;-) check these quotes:

 “Often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.” – Helen Keller

 “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

 “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” – C.S. Lewis 



I hope your day is great. Today as yesterday, I am Blessed. I like to think of the Creator; I also like to think HE thinks of me.  Since I am so Blessed, I am convinced HE DOES!

Nite Shipslog

PS: Sherry's family had a traditional New Years day meal:

Hog jawl, blackeyed peas, collards.  Did your family have a traditional meal?  Mine did not.

5 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Yes indeed, you are blessed and the Lord thinks of you every day.

Thanx for the information about pork. I like pork, especially bacon. I'll go make a sandwich right now. Now here's a thought for you ... why do they make bacon from pork? Why not lamb bacon? Or beef bacon? Or chicken even? And turkey?

God bless.

Chatty Crone said...

The truck sure fits the post - butt's up!
We had cabbage and black-eyed peas for New Years.

Mevely317 said...

Gosh, I'd sure have failed a test if I had to pinpoint the location of the Boston Butt! Thanks for the education!
As you've mentioned, Boston Butts are a real drawing card here in Alabama. I may be biased but think my DIL makes some of the best.
Sorry to be late to the table; we've been under severe weather warnings most of the afternoon and evening; I just now dared to turn the computer back on.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

We always have pork roast and sauerkraut for good luck on New Years Day. Never heard it called a butt before, but there sure are a lot of ways to fix pork. Barbecued pork is one of my favorites. And like many I do love bacon. I guess I'll have to look and see if I can find a boston butt in the store. My grandmother used to use every bit of the pig. She'd make mincemeat from the head and made Pickled pigs feet too.

salemslot9 said...

Victor: they do make beef bacon & turkey bacon. :)