Sunday, January 1, 2023

For a NEW YEAR

  ONE of A KIND

 Either of these would be great for boon docking in the Desert!



So for today:

I want to be better and not bitter. I have half-heartedly made New Year’s Resolutions. I do have a goal this year.  I want to Thru-Hike the Appalachian Trail (2197miles), there will be some separations, but at least not like me being on a ship in the North Atlantic. LOL. Sherry & I can arrange to see each other during that 6 to 8 months.

Sherry on the AT in Vermont, she was hurting from a strained groin muscle. She had alread thrown her pack down the mountain before she headed down. ;-O

Much depends on completion of a hike like this. It takes determination. There is the chance of accidents, simply a sprained ankle or strained leg muscle can take someone off the trail. Of course weather can be a factor. I have slid my starting date forward a few days but still want to be on the trail before the end of January.

Nimblewill Nomad, right, with Dale “Grey Beard” Sanders, who was 82 when he hiked the AT in 2017. Photo C.M. “The Mayor” Whalen, via Facebook


Grey Beard gave this bit of advice, “Never quit on a bad day!”  I will try to remember that.

I am fairly healthy being 84 this month. At times I think taking 6-8 months out of what life I have left is stupid, but then I think what else am I going to do? I was never a big builder, but 6 months would produce 2 houses. ;-)  BUT I am sure not going to build a house, Sherry won’t let me.  LOL (Plus, last year I finally did not renew my license. ;-).

Many times I have pushed the envelope and succeeded. I won’t mention the times it didn’t work. ;-(

This attempt is more than I have ever taken on, when you consider the age thing.

In the past few years men 81, 82 and 83 have successfully hiked the AT, but the last two men were real hiking enthusiasts. The 82 year man had also canoed the entire Mississippi River. The 83 year old guy had thru hike the AT before. The last time he walked 250 miles to get to the trail, then hiked the 2197 miles on the trail. I have never done anything close to those accomplishments, but I still want to give it a good try.

Above is Professor Gordon, Me, Fred Brannen, and son Mark. Beginning the 100 mile Wilderness, Mark (the youngest), was the only one to complete that hike.

I don’t have a good track record lately. You probably remember a few months ago I planned to backpack 100 miles as a trial run and made it 15 miles.  LOL So I admit, honestly my chances of completing this are small.

Nite Shipslog

PS: Many people laugh at this COVID thing. 'It is only a bad cold or the FLU,' tis said,  But my bout with Covid last year did sap my strength, but my endurance is coming back I think.

 

7 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Okay Jack, I'm going to come out and say it: You're scaring me a little.
On the other hand, if you commit this trip to paper, you may have a best-selling book!

Wishing you ALL a beautiful day!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

You are very brave and courageous. I have left a can of Guinness at the end of my garden to give me a reason and the impetus to walk there. And that's only a few yards; not 2197 miles.

God bless you and your family.

Chatty Crone said...

Are you saying it is going a six to eight months trip? Oh Vey!
Well I admire you starting and trying. I bet if anyone can do it - you can. When do you leave?

Susan Kane said...

Well, the trail will wait. Use common sense to guide you! Crazy vehicles. You never disappoint.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You have set a goal few of us would do and I'm wishing you success. I'm hoping you are able to keep in contact with us as you travel. Glad you will meet up with Sherry too! She will be checking on you to make sure all is well.

yaya said...

Wow Jack, you put me to shame. I would be happy to walk the little track near my house that's only 1 mile long on a daily basis. Anyway, the days are going to go by anyhow so do what you wish and also please carry some kind of GPS system so you can be found if necessary. I'm sure you'll have a plan so I'll just say good luck and much love from Ohio!

salemslot9 said...

Wow!