Saturday, January 14, 2023

Interesting facts about the Appalachian Trail

  ONE of A KIND

 RV'ers whose families must have grown and needed more room:



So for today:

The AT hits 14 states on the east coast. Starting in Georgia and ending in Maine. Every year the distance changes a mile or so due to rerouting and damage. The last count was 2197 miles. Over 2000 hikers start to thru-hike (the entire trail within a 12 month period)

As it meanders North it goes thru one store  it is the only place where the AT passes through a man-made structure. It is Walasi-Yi Center, Sports supply some food. The rock building was built in 1937 by the Gov’t Conservation Corps.

(This shoe tree must have been started after we hiked thru, I do not remember it. But I do know lots of hikers quit here. It is just after Blood Mt and only 30 miles into the hike! I sure hope to see it. LOL)

The trail goes down the main street of a couple towns, Two I remember is Hot Springs, NC and Damascus, VA.

The trail is marked by a white blaze 2”x6”  When we see two blazes on the trail it tells the hiker there is a change of direction ahead, look for it.

(I do not remember  bears in the Zoo but remember enjoying it as we walked thru)

The trail goes through the ‘Trail Side Museum and Zoo’ in Bear Mt., NY, then across the Hudson River Hikers can sleep and relax at the Graymour Spiritual Life Center ran by the Franciscan Friars, open to all religions and all walks of life.

(We did not stop here, but hope to if I make it this far. This is Graymour)

The trail also goes right thru Dartmouth University.  I understand many hikers spend the night there.

Anyway, I will be shouting if I get thru NY. In Bear Mountain the trail goes by a GREAT Bakery. MMM a dozen doughnuts disappear fast…

Now, don’t you want to come with me?  ;-)

 

Nite Shipslog

PS: I ran across these pictures I took in Vermont also concerning cows and pastures. The trail went around this pasture:




5 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I hope you don't quit at the shoe tree and make the journey safely. Makes me wonder if you are taking an extra pair of shoes, You'll be waring yours out for sure.. I could definitely enjoy this donuts but no way could I hike the trail.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Yes, I'd love to come with you - vicariously. If you can, please post pictures and a short description of your trail walk.

We'll be praying with you every step of the way. You're an inspiration.

God bless.

Chatty Crone said...

Oh my goodness - I am feeling your excitement and I am getting excited for you! That tree with the shoes is foreboding! lol

Mevely317 said...

I hate to tell a lie, Jack; so 'no.' I'd enjoy your company, but would be more comfortable doing so across a dinner table with Sherry and Tom.
Thanks for the mention of the two white blazes. I meant to ask what the one meant but had forgotten.

PS - I'm not sure of the meaning behind hanging shoes, but just a few miles down the road is a pretty park with a similar feature. Much of it (the park) is what remains of the movie set, Big Fish.

Lisa said...

Let me know when you reach the donut shop and I will put in my take out order.

Lisa