Thursday, September 28, 2023

I think I can, but I can’t

  Car of the day:

Muscle car from the 50-60s



So for today:

We have a Honda CRV. The hatchback is manually operated, no button. I just realized that I can no longer close it with one hand, it takes two,

I just finished repairing the grill on the coach and it is back in place. I had to open and shut the hatchback for tools when I noticed my inability to close it with one arm.

It is personally mentally damaging for an old person to realize that no matter how hard you try to fight it, you are becoming weaker.

I probably exercise more than most men my age, but it doesn’t seem to help.

I took a Statin for a few months of my later years, maybe a year before I decided I would rather take a chance on high Cholesterol than lose muscle. The deciding factor came when I was building a small building and with my son, lifted a 20 foot stud wall. I lost a ligament in my upper arm. It popped loud, but did not hurt. Looked down at my arm muscle in shock to see my muscle lumped near my elbow a few inches below where it has been all my life. But it didn’t hurt at all.

.

One of these came loose and the muscle just fell. NO PAIN!

Sherry started feeding me more oatmeal and my cholesterol is manageable without a statin.  But I have not recovered any strength. My Dr. asked if I wanted the muscle fixed because I had only one ligament now allowing me to use that arm. I told him NO.  He said at least quit doing pushups or you could use the use of the arm completely.

So when I exercise I do what is called female pushups, with my knees on the floor putting less weight on my arms. I exercise about every 3rd night but only for 15-20 minutes.

 So all you you stay strong and don't tell anyone when you get old.

Yeah I complain a lot. LOL  Sherry is getting tired of it. 

(but I am so sweet she forgives me!)

 

Nite Shipslog

PS: We always appreciate you taking the time to stop by for a visit.

 

3 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Strenghth fades with everything else in old age when my mom turned 70 she told me everything starts to fall apart at 70. The same happened to me. I'm falling apart, don't have any strength and am getting slower every day. Getting old is no fun at all. Just saying...

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Praying for your good health, Jack; and for Sherry and the whole family too.

God bless you all.

Mevely317 said...

Well, I had to read this aloud to Tom while he was making a sandwich. He/we can sure relate to losing muscle mass, strength ... whatever. It's a hard lesson in humility.

It doesn't solve anything, but I think it helps to vent every now and then.

Blessings!