Thursday, September 7, 2023

Time moves fast………. Using hindsight!

 

 Car of the day: 1957 looks like Saros Bay!


So for today:

Sherry and I have breakfast together most mornings. Then set for the second cup of coffee and talk. Oue SWEET time together. At 85 she is still the most beautiful lady in the world.

 

The other day I heard someone who was going to be confined for nearly a year say, “You know time moves fast, it will be over quick.”

 

My first ship, and first cruise. USS Vermillion AKA 107

Sherry and I were discussing that. Looking back at our first wedding anniversary. We remember when time went SLOOOWWW. I was in the USMC we had been married a few months, and I received orders for deployment. NATO exercises with Turkey, at the far end of the Mediterranean Sea. I worked a radio relay station out in the middle of nowhere. I was a Corporal and had one PFC with me.  A two man site so we worked the radios 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off.

September 22nd rolled around our first anniversary and here I was thousands of miles away, looking down on Saros Bay, Turkey. I was 18. Tom was on duty, and I walked off into the wild, on a hill and I could see the beautiful Mediterranean reflecting the moon. I looked up at the stars and quietly sang Fraulein, a popular song at the time, as I cried.

I started the song again at the breakfast table and we sang it together and the words again brought tears.

Far across the blue waters
Lives an old German's daughter
By the banks of the old river Rhine

Where I loved her and left her
But I can't forget her
I miss my pretty Fräulein

Fräulein, Fräulein
Look up toward the heavens
Each night, when the stars start to shine

By the same stars above you
I swear that I love you
You are my pretty Fräulein

When my memories wander
Away over yonder
To the sweetheart that I left behind

In a moment of glory
A face comes before me
The face of my pretty Fräulein

Fräulein, Fräulein
Walk down by the river
Pretend that your hand's holding mine

By the same stars above you
I swear that I love you
You are my pretty
Fräulein

 

 We both laughed. That was a short 66+ years ago.

Yes the time passed, but it seemed forever, I am sure most of you know what I mean…

 We assume that Jack Jr. was conceived that first night back, ;-)

So YES time passes much faster looking back… 

SHUCKS, Just in that short 66 years this small mill town of Belmont, NC is now a city.  LOL

Nite Shipslog


PS:  Thanks for your time and thanks for the comments & prayers

4 comments:

Lisa said...

This was a sweet post.
Yes time passes way to fast. The older I get the faster it seems to flow.

Night
Lisa

Unknown said...

Jack Jr. probably doesn't wanna know that about his mama and daddy. LOL So beautiful the way you still love your wife after all these years. And yes, time is passing by so quickly the older we get. Kinda scary isn't it?

Victor S E Moubarak said...

A wonderful post once again, Jack. Thank you so much.

Happiness and good health to both of you. God bless always.

Mevely317 said...

Bittersweet memories! That bay is so lovely -- yet, I know you longed to share it with your love.

Time is elusive, that's for sure. I find it hard to believe we'll be writing "2024" before long -- and it seemed New Years was just a few weeks ago. This reminds me of one of my favorite country songs, "Don't Blink." Lots of truth there!