Saturday, September 2, 2023

STUFF Just stuff..

  Car of the day:

 Ahhh, that 56 Chevy


So for today:

I remember someone saying when I was a kid, “If he keeps that up, he’s a goner!”

I never thought about that too much it was just a word, but many times I have heard, “That dude is gonna be a goner.”

The term is ‘informal’:

1.     a person or thing that is doomed or cannot be saved.

"Robert would have been a goner if I hadn't got there when I did"

 

The word came up on the internet where a kid saw a crime committed and the crook noticed him there and said to him, “Kid if you say a word, you’re a goner.”  The boy had  never heard the word.

Strange how words become part of a language and then step aside and are many times forgotten.

The prefaces, Aunt and Uncle in our area are a thing of the past. I am Uncle Jack to some, but to most I am Jack and THAT IS FINE!


Aunt Bert, Uncle Cullen and Aunt Ruby (early 50s)

Churches were filled with people whose first name was Brother or Sister. LOL That has pretty well gone by the wayside too. I have no problem with that.  However I still have it hard calling my pastor by his first name Danny, but I am getting used to it.

Oh, I had a incident where a grandson’s entry door hardware BROKE.  He was away in Ohio visiting and his cousin could not get in the house to take care of his dogs. I got there after son Mark had already discovered the problem and he called, “Dad I will be there with a replacement lockset; start removing the lock, go on in, the back door is unlocked.

“What about the dogs!”

“No problem, they are kittens.”

They are BIG dogs and did not look friendly. Thru the window, I saw huge teeth. “I’ll wait ‘til you get here!”

Since being bit by a dog last year, I am leery.  I never have been uncomfortable around any dog, but now I am sure they can sense that I am.

So I waited and I had the feeling it was a good idea. We got the job done.

NOW, I’m done.

Nite Shipslog

 

PS: Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your time..

 

6 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I hope you can get over that fear of dogs. They know when people are afraid of them.. I have never been bitten by a strange dog, but do steer of the ones I don't know. Yappy little dogs will scare me more than the big ones do. Glad you could get his locks replaced so he can now use his door! You always seem to be helping others out, good way to live !

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Mevely317 said...

"Goner"! I hadn't heard that word since childhood, but now I'm smiling.
And calling your pastor by his first name reminds me the first time I met my dentist. He stuck his head in the door, "Hi, I'm Steve." (Have you ever heard a doctor not wanting to be addressed by his title? Me, either!)

The only thing that bothers me a bit are people who call -- or refer to their parents by their first name. My older granddaughter does that to her mom AND me. It's hard to bite my tongue, ya know?

3D said...

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and expertise

NanaDiana said...

You would LOVE my sweet Scruffy, Jack. He would lick you to death. Once bitten twice shy....another old saying.
I went to a church with Brother & Sister, too, and felt odd when I first started going...but then felt odd after I moved and went to another church without that preface to the name.
I hope you have a good Labor Day and that no one you know is a 'goner'. Hugs- Diana

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Haven't heard "you're a goner" for ages.

God bless.