Saturday, September 16, 2023

Walk a mile in my shoes….

  Car of the day:


Bonnie and Clyde ands their A-model Ford

So for today:

I am sure we all have heard that statement during our lifetime.  Most likely, at one time or the other, we have all tried to understand that very statement when seeing someone else’s life from OUR point of view.

I did not know of the many monuments using this statement around the world. I have never seen this one in Atlanta, a tribute to Martin Luthur King Jr.

If you truly look at another person, you know that you really cannot ‘walk a mile in their shoes’ but you can try to ‘understand,’ if you will.

I had a nephew, a wonderful, funny loving kid, He grew up known as Bubby. I remember an incident remembered by his wonderful mother Ruth.

“When Bub was about 3 yrs old, he had been naughty, I cut a switch and called him. He ran and crawled under our A-model Ford. When I went to one side, he would roll to the other. I finally left him and went inside the house. Later, there was little knock on the door. When I opened the door there he stood, smiling, holding some wild flowers in his hand offering them to me. I could not use that switch, but hugged him tight.”

Bubby grew up became a champion boxer and an artist with brick and mortar. However, in the process got hooked on drugs.  He spent most of his adult life in prison. Bubby died at the age of 43, out of prison and working in a church.

I said all that because I am sorry that never REALLY considered how my brother and SIL Ruth felt INSIDE as they visited Bub in prison, I still saw that sweet kid.

Lately, due to circumstances, I wish Odis and Ruth were still alive I would like to hug them both and say, “I think I know how you feel!!!!!!!!”

 

You might understand. You may know someone whom you have not mentally tried to ‘walk a mile in their shoes,’ think about it.

I have a friend who is blind.  I have friends that have  lost their mates and live alone.

All over the world that statement is used in some form. I remember hearing the Indian (Native Americans) statement, “Don’t judge until you walk in their moccasins!”

 

It is humbling to even imagine walking in someone’s shoes who is a slave. Someone who has shoes but no feet to put in them.

Remember as you meet people, they have not walked in your shoes either. You could be misunderstood in the process.

J

Nite Shipslog

PS: Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your time.. Makes us feel good to know you were here,….

4 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

We never know what load others are carrying in their hearts. But be of good cheer, Christ is walking in our shoes every day. He knows and He cares.

God bless.

Susie said...

Jack, How could anyone paddle a sweet boy carrying a bouquet of flowers. LOL Jack, I try my best to treat people kindly , because we do not know their troubles. We all need smiles and prayers. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Mevely317 said...

Truer words were never spoken!
On a lighter note, I was griping about how my airbuds keep falling out of my ear; Tom says, "Well, now you know how I feel." (Ya, 4 years in hearing aids and countless fittings, they still fall out.)

I love the story about 3 y/o Bubby. What a career he might have had in sales!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

We truly don't understand everyones problem, but I try to always be kind. A smile can do more good than we will ever know. I never look down on people but try to lift them up instead. You've got a great attitude Jack. I loved this post today!