Monday, September 25, 2023

The writing on the wall

 Car of the day:

 Transportation back in the day!


So for today:

There is a story in scripture that birthed a dooming statement, Insightful folks who have seen future events said things like:  “I see the writing on the wall, our stock in this company is in the cellar, my job won’t last long, I need to start looking.”

If you do not know the story, here it is in a nutshell;

King Belshazzar had blown it; he became a terrible king. One night during one of his wild parties out of nowhere a big hand appeared and began writing strange words on the wall.

 

Old Belly could not understand, and his wise men had no idea.  After awhile old man Daniel was called. ‘Old Daniel knowed stuff buddy, he had even slept with lions.”

After chiding Belshazzar for his arrogance, and for his blasphemy by partying with sacred vessels, Daniel then interpreted the words, the writing on the wall, saying: “And this is the inscription that was written: MENE, MENE, TEKEL, UPHARSIN.

MENE: God has numbered your kingdom, and finished it.

 TEKEL: You have been weighed in the balances, and found wanting;

UPHARSIN: Your kingdom has been divided, and given to the Medes and Persians.” (Daniel 5:25-28).

It has become an idiom over the years When someone sees a big change coming they said, “I see the writing on the wall!”

Well I am not all that wise to see that blogging here on the net is headed out.  Folks are interested in FaceBook and other platforms and are enjoying immediate reactions.

 I was with AOL Journals for years and enjoyed it.  I was disappointed then they announced they were closing, if we wanted to continue what we were doing we would need to find another place.  Many of us came to Blogger.

The Shipslog is now being read an average of 50-75 times a day. In 2021 It was being read on the average of 250 times, several times went to over 500 daily views. I looked forward to reaching a total of a million reads like the big guys.  The Shipslog finally did that.

But now I see a drifting away.  I like the idea some of you have of making this sort of a diary or family journal. I had no plan; I have just written what came to mind.

I am going to try to continue until the ship sinks.  But lately I haven’t had the energy, and my mind slides sideways at times.

Nite Shipslog

PS: We always appreciate you taking the time to stop by for a visit.

 

6 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Over the years there have been so many changes. I love blogging and for me it is like a family journal so yes, I do will keep on until the ship sinks. Blogger is changing too and I miss have access to all my archived pictures. Thankfully most of them are on my computer but some are so old I don't have them. We'll see what happens. I don't think anyone can predict the future, but The way things are going, It could be we lose more bloggers. Keep on blogging Jack I'm a faithful reader !

Victor S E Moubarak said...

The way I see it is like this ... and I see the writing on the screen ...

There is too much which is bad on the Internet; so Blogs like yours, with a Christian message, are a beacon of light and sanity in an otherwise dark world wide web. You never know who visits your Blog, where they are from and what is their views on anything. But perchance only one out of 100 visitors a day may be interested in finding more about God from something you wrote here. Isn't that a privilege that your writings sparked and interest in someone finding God?

Keep writing my friend. Even if you only have one visitor here.

God bless.

Mevely317 said...

I never heard this story before! Wow ... the same could certainly be said about the state of our Country, couldn't it? (We were just talking about that yesterday at Bible study.)

Yes, while I never enjoyed a big following in Blogland, I have noticed 'attendance' slipping. I love FB, but readers' attention spans being what they are, I try and post there only small, pithy sayings or funny memes.
At the end of the day I'd rather have a few close friends here -- than legions of those someone once called 'touch and go' landings.

Woody said...

I remember those AOL Days and having to choose where to go ! I have and continue to enjoy your Posts on SHIPSLOG ! You take care, keep Typing what comes to mind ! Sending down Love and Care !! Gary and Anna Mae

yaya said...

I've been blogging for almost 15yrs and I will hate if it stops. I've met, virtually anyway, lots of awesome folks. Have said goodbye as some have gone to heaven. I keep my blog as a journal and make a book out of it every year. It works for me but I've noticed I haven't posted as much as I used to and have lost lots of followers. I love the folks that do take the time to read my boring life and love reading about others! I so enjoy your posts even if I miss a few like I did last week while on vacation. You are an amazing person who puts many people to shame with your stamina, wit, love for your beautiful gal and the ability to write a fun blog. I hope you can keep going but if it ever becomes too much or not fun then you will know when to write that last post. Hopefully not for a long time though! Ha! Take care Jack and give Sherry a nice hug!

JoyM said...

I visit your post and thank you so much for continuing - appreciating each one.
Joy