Wednesday, September 20, 2023

That pronunciation thing…

  Car of the day:

 The 1904 Sunbeam produced in Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England. the name used off and on over the years. Listed as defunct in 1934


So for today:

We are overnighting near the town of Yemassee. We always pronounce it ye-MASS-see. But it seems the locals pronounce it YeMuh-SEE.

As a Southerner I even murder southern ‘tawk!’

I mispronounced Biloxi, Novinger, Rutherfordton  and many others as we moved around the country.

We had a sweet older friend Lucille Arrowood.  She pronounced her last name, ‘R’ wood (ARE-wood). A sweet young lady once told her in our presence, “You know that our name is ARROW-WOOD don’t you?”

“I don’t need nobody telling me how to say my name, it’s been ARE-wood all my life and at 80 I ain’t about to change.”

Incase you have never been in this area, we are about 30-40 miles from Parris Island.  You have heard of that pleasure island, right?

I enjoyed a couple months’ vacation there once at government expense.  It was my first vacation away from home on my own. :-O ……Wonderful exciting place. ;) J

In the morning we will drive 5-6 hours to Eustis, FL for 3 weeks

Have you ever been embarrassed about pronunciation?

Nite Shipslog

PS: I appreciate your time.. Makes us feel good to know you were here,….

 

3 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I have difficulty pronouncing my name. So I have shortened it to Vic.

God bless.

Mevely317 said...

Growing up in New Mexico, we used to get a kick out of visitors' attempts to pronounce names of some of the towns -- Tesuque, for instance. Or, like my new car, Taos.

The only time I recall being really embarrassed happened in my 15th (or 16th) year -- there, in front of all my friends, I pointed at a new Grand Prix and pronounced it, well ... the way it was written. Oops!

Doesn't really apply here, but there's a meme going around FB that I like: "Never make fun of someone who mispronounces a word. It means they learned it by reading."

Sheila Y said...

My brother Carl got to vacation at that pleasure island when he joined the marines. Safe travels! ❤️ Sheila