Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Something different for my day, Retro Rockets

 Memorable Automobiles from The Past:

 The '61 Metropolitan, Lois Lane, Superman's Girl Friend drove one in Metropolis.



Once near the Ohio River in Illinois,  I said, "Look, we have made it to Metropolis, YEAH!


Now For today:

We have enjoyed traveling and living many places throughout much of this country. In our later years we settled on being ‘snow birds’. The term used to describe folks who go south for the winter.

We did Arizona, desert area for one winter. WE loved it, but now we settle for Florida, closer to family (N. Carolina). Actually Florida is getting pretty crowded in the winter.

The weather is the draw of course, but it is NOT always toasty warm. Seldom does it hit freezing in central Florida, but it does get there some years. This year it has reached freezing three times.  Fortunately I don’t think the citrus was in bloom.

Blooming time, a wonderful scent if you ever experience it. The first time I smelled it, I was astounded.  Folks looked at me like I was crazy when I asked.... ??

“That is the citrus blooming," was their reply.  I had just never been in the right place but it was certainly an enjoyable experience.

I enjoy seeing alligators (not up close), because they are an interesting reptile.  WE don’t fish as much as we once did, but Florida is great for fishing. There were winters we ate fish 2-3 times a week.


----------------------    ----------

Another unique thing here is Cape Canaveral. WE have watched many rockets lift off to place satellites and move humans to outer space.

Among them was John Glenn's return to space.  Once to see supplies sent to the space station.

Yesterday we got a call from Mark telling us one was about to go up. Again seeing it from 80-90 miles is not as good as being close as we have been. We have been close enough to hear the engines. BUT this time it was different. WE saw it climb into the sky, I began to think............. saying...

Am I seeing two rockets?  Don spoke up saying, “I think one of those is the rocket returning.”  That was something new, we had never seen that before. Since it was nearly dark we could see the ‘retro-rockets’ brightly fire to slow its descent.

(Shucks, We do not have a camera for long shots ;-(...  )

Something NEW….That brought a smile to my face.

--------------------    ---------------

 

NiteShipslog

 

9 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'd say you've seen a little bit of everything traveling the way you do. Your cold weather would be warm for us. We had the coldest January with more days below freezing than not. AND THEN THERE IS THE SNOW TO DEAL WITH. At least you don't have that. Another big storm is headed our way but for today we are expecting a January thaw on the 1st of February.

betty said...

I didn't realize any rockets were going up or down yesterday but what a sight to see! I think Florida is getting to be a very popular state to move to and not just for the weather!

Betty

Susan Kane said...

Arizona is a fascinating state. Going up near Flagstaff is cooler.
Seeing a space launch! That is almost like holy. I told my then 2 yr. old son that he could fly to space. He nodded. He said he'd take me with him! Hasn't happened yet.

Susie said...

I sure would love to be fishing. We are in for a winter storm here in Indiana. Bummer, I am sick of winter and it's been mild till now. Love the little car. Take care of each other there. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Mevely317 said...

I don't recall ever smelling the Florida citrus -- but seeing the rockets' launch from the other side of the state was always a thrill. Happened a couple times -- both on my commute to work and coming home. It's a wonder I didn't rear-end someone on U.S. 19 (or get rear-ended myself).

Gators still give me the willies. I've heard too many tales of residents' little dogs becoming their lunch.

yaya said...

I love when I learn something new! I can see you do too! I've never seen an alligator and frankly don't care if I ever do. When I was a kid we camped a few times in Florida and once it was in an orange grove! Smelled heavenly! I know it was cold down there but at least you know it will turn warm pretty quick. We're suppose to get a big snow storm tomorrow and I'm not looking forward to it! I may have to think about being a snowbird one day! I remember when Jack and I visited his Grandfather in Florida and we saw a rocket take off. It was pretty cool to see!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Must be frightening seeing alligators so close. Especially if they come in one's gardens. It's not like having a squirrel on your bird table is it? Can you imagine an alligator on your bird table? It would frighten the birds away.

Do you know the difference between an alligator and a crocodile?

It is spelled differently.

God bless.

Dar said...

OK, I would love that sweet little Metropolitan. What a ride.~! I also wouldn't mind a lot of sunshine With the warmth right now. It's been so bitter cold in our north central WI for way too long. Bring on the sunshine enough to melt the couple feet of snow. I also wouldn't mind seeing a rocket launch. What a thrill that had to have been especially the first time. Continue to enjoy your weather. I'd gladly share ours. Send me the Metropolitan. It's so cool
loven'hugs from up north as we cuddle under another layer of comforters. lol

Lisa said...

I would love to see a rocket take off but would love more to smell citrus in Winter.

From the cold side
Lisa