Friday, January 12, 2024

Continuing my life, maybe….

 Photo of the day

 

We had a 1959 or 60 Rambler while at Moberly something like this..


Just in,  I asked if someone could find the picture of the Conrads to send it to me. Lisa of Salemslot searched and found...THANKS LADY  THAT IS THE ORIGINAL i SCALNNED WRINKLES AND ALL.  This picture is missing David Luke he is the baby not born at this time.
All these kids were very successful with a great work ethic. One Harry the oldest boy, like his dad,  is a Hero of mine, Kenneth fought in Europe WWII and Harry serving in Nam, we were all proud of him.

So for today:

So we find ourselves very interested in working in church under the pastor; I was elected District youth Director. I was still active duty USAF. The pastor recommended me to the church officials for ministerial license. His recommendation was accepted, and I was on my way to becoming a minister.

I had planned to make the USAF a career, but this church thing changed that. Life was upset for a little while when I was not discharged, but my enlistment was extended due to the Cuban Missile Crisis. It was only 100 days so I was discharged and headed back NC and a short Summer Bible School with some great teachers. I passed all the tests met the boards and soon I was licensed.

As fate would have it, of course I figured it was God’s Will, that little church in Missouri, came open and I received a call from the Missouri Overseer appointing us to the small Moberly Church of God.

The new Pastor and his wife and boys:

 

 My daddy gave me the first advice he had given me on pastoring. “Son, do not go in debt, live off what the church pays and God’s people will feed you.”

WE had never had a big income, we moved at our own expense, etc. So I did not plan to get a job. The Church paid from $50 to $120 a month in 1962. Back then we trusted God and had no insurance other than required on the car.

Yeah my sweet wife knows how to roll with the punches. She then had two boys less than 5 yrs old. I moved them into a parsonage that was a chicken house remodeled. It was about 5 inches out of level and had 8 or 9 linoleums on the kitchen floor to cover the cracks. LOL

More kids from the little church, that is Glenda holding Jack Jr.

We were happy we pastored some of the most wonderful folk in the world. Once we had car trouble and borrowed $60 for 6 months to fix the car. Payments were $10.25 a month.  LOL

We maintained the church, it did not grow more than 2 or 3 people in our short time there.  We were there less than a year and I received a call from NC to another church. It was like the old joke, “Honey you start packing and I will go pray about the move.”

Many of the church members were heartbroken.  We had been at the church as members for 3 years then came to pastor for a few months. WE loved that bunch,  But, but….

NC was our home, and of course we thought going there was a gift from God. The church paid a living wage. 

More tomorrow.

Nite Shipslog

PS :  I got one of my best compliments when I was serving my city rotation as Hospital chaplain. I introduced myself to the head nurse, Smiling she said, “So now dey is putting temptation in the pulpit!”  I got a kick out of that.

Thanks for reading the Shipslog, hope to see you again, try to stay warm and be good.

5 comments:

salemslot9 said...

You’re welcome Pastor Jack
I didn’t know you did all that! 🌝

Mevely317 said...

"Temptation in the pulpit" ... I love that! (But, did Sherry?)

I'm so glad you share these pictures that illustrate your recollections. It's such fun to look at the clothes, the hairstyles. As a little girl I wanted little else than to have a BIG family. Like the Conrads; the Lennon Sisters. I even chose names, lol. I'd give little thought to the father or how to feed and clothe everyone.

Thanks for the entertaining post!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you so much for these memories of the past. Have you thought of recording them in a book for your family? Just copy paste the Blog posts and add the bits that are missing. It would make a good souvenir.

I wrote my story but not published it. It's for the family only.

God bless.

Glenda Hulbert said...

Victor has a great idea! You're so talented as a writer, get going Pastor Jack why wait?

Glenda Hulbert said...

Thought that I'd completed my comment...google is telling me "Required field must not be blank".