Friday, January 19, 2024

Things change, buttons for instance

 Photo of the day


So for today:

In our travels we spent a lot of time in Maine. In the city of Bangor is purported to be the largest wooden statue in the world, or is the largest statue of Paul in the world?  Not sure.  But it is 31 ft tall and hard to miss.  I took several pictures of it. Note how the jacket is fashioned.  I never noticed the 'buttons' until today.

The one thing I did notice is that it is so realistic.  The  hands I looked so real to me with the strength showing and the ‘just right’ wrinkles.

It is something to behold. Not all man-made things ‘amaze’ me, but you sometimes have to let your mind wrap around things like Mt Rushmore,

 Crazy Horse (will it ever be finished?) 

even the Great Arch in St. Louis.

I must admit I appreciate nature  more than the manmade but some hold a great big second place.

The USAF Academy near Colorado Springs. made from scrap aluminum


Now beauty is not the same to all, Margaret Hungerford coined the phrase, “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder is very correct.” That is so true.  

I follow https://sparepartsandpics.blogspot.com/ . He has fantastic pictures of the desert. He catches some GREAT natural phenomenon. But funny that, today he shot a picture of a piece of junk, just an old water pipe and faucet that was discarded. I thought it was beautiful. His pics are unddefr copywrite so I will not show that, but this is an example of what I say is beautiful ;-), and he Has caught some like this too:

Enjoy yourself and find beauty where you can..

I did, even at a windy airport in Cuba:

(That is jack Jr in background with a bongo Drum he is bringing back from Haiti.)

Nite Shipslog

PS:  God has allowed us to meet some of the best folk on the planet; in person and here on the net.  Thank you all for being here… and being YOU!

 

6 comments:

happyone said...

I've been to the first four and found them all amazing to see up close.
A fun ride in the arch.

Mevely317 said...

Indeed! Some of these make one say to herself, "How in the world....?"
And then there's people like your friend who captured that discarded pipe/faucet. He's like my blog friend Sandra; they leave me embarrassed for not being more observant.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

You've visited so many wonderful places, Jack. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us, and the photos.

Wishing you all the best. God bless.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

There are truly so many beautiful things in our world. I haven't seen the same things you have, but still beautiful. You are right beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is beauty all around us, we just have to stop and look for it!

Chatty Crone said...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - you are so right.
Plus, think with people - if you look beyond physical beauty, you can really find some cool people.
I think you have to be open minded.
I enjoyed and have not seen the sights you showed us today.
Thanks.

yaya said...

We've been to most of the places you mention here. So much cool things to see in our beautiful country! I remember when we went to So.Dakota and saw Mt. Rushmore. My youngest kept calling it Mt. Rushhour! We saw Crazy Horse too and it looks the same..I don't think it will ever be done. I remember going into that park to see it and was asked if I was Native American. I had natural jet black hair then and it was summer and I also sported a dark tan. I said no I wasn't. The gate keeper said that was too bad because I could get in for free if I was! This Greek girl had to tell the truth! Have a good weekend Jack and Sherry!