Sunday, January 7, 2024

What mama said…

 Photo of the day

 My last pic pf mama


So for today:

Most people who came from a solid family always wish they had learned more from their parents than they did. We didn’t ask enough or were too busy to take the time to listen.

Mama with 3 sisters and 2 brothers. Her parents had a small farm with a small general store in the Red Hill community outside Toccoa, Georgia. Mama was educated she finished the 8th grade before she had to quit and work in the store and fields.

This morning Sherry put out two jars of jelly (blackberry and strawberry). I thought back on family history. In Blackberry season most families I knew went blackberry picking. To me it was a fun time, but I ate so many as I picked it took a long time for me to cover the bottom of the bucket. We had Blackberry Cobbler that night. Mama made the best blackberry jelly.

Mama told me a lot about the store, they bartered bought and sold. I remember she told of a kid that every year he would come to the store with his wagon full of Quart jars of Molasses; he would always say the same thing “Wanna swap some brown syrup for some white syrup for mama!”

I never once asked her if the ‘white syrup’ was Karo? Now I wonder.

I have told this here before, I did ask mama what kind of horses they had and she looked at me like ‘how did I raise such a dumb boy?’ “Son your dad had matching mules, horses were for the folks ‘up in the papers’! “

Nite Shipslog

PS !: PS:. Thanks for reading the Shipslog, hope to see you again, take care and be safe…

8 comments:

Victor S E Moubarak said...

What wonderful memories of your mother and your youth. Treasured happy memories make us smile when things are difficult. Thank you, Jack.

God bless you and your family.

Mevely317 said...

I love that photo of you and your momma! The expression on her face makes me believe she's so happy to be in your arms. At peace.

You're the second blogger in as many days to share a post about their mother. With the anniversary of her homegoing approaching, maybe I'll do the same.

I can't recall ever having tasted blackberries. Maybe I should put that on my List?

Mevely317 said...

Me, again! In case you're interested, here is a link to Pam's blog post about her own mother. All special ladies!

https://pamelasopenwindow.blogspot.com/2024/01/celebrating-my-momupdated.html

Susie said...

Jack, I love your mother's reply about the horses. I just told some tales about my own mother this past week. I said she had two recipes, One was "take it", the next was ,"or leave it" Truly my mother was not a great cook, but she fed 11 kids without any assist. It's was soup beans, fried potatoes, and cornbread, mostly. I guess it made us tough. You are so right about not learning more from our folks. I hate that I did not ask more. Blessings, stay healthy and hold your sweetheart close. xoxo, Susie

happyone said...

Lovely memories,

Susan Kane said...

such a great memory. we went "blackburying" every year. also went huntin' muchrooms. Mom made the best blackberry cobbler.

Lisa said...

I remember wild blackberry picken. Mom gave us a gallon bucket and said she needed it to be full to make a cobbler. We’d come home with purple lips, red fingers and briar scratches up to our elbows but we has a gallon. Later on, I learned it only took a cup for a cobbler. I guess it gave mama a break from the four of us to go blackberry picking.

NIte
Lisa

yaya said...

I love all your memories and what a darling photo of Momma and you. Jack still barters a bit with some of his patients. We just got a gallon of maple syrup for some Chiro treatment. One patient plows the parking lot and his wife gives us eggs...again, fine with me! My in-laws had a lovely place that we called "The Farm" even though Jack's Dad was a Chiropractor and didn't farm. But there were lots of Blackberry bushes that Mom and I picked every year. Blackberry jelly is a process to get rid of those seeds! I also got a good case of chiggers when I didn't change my clothes after picking!