Friday, February 6, 2009

Books mailed and Mail call

The USS Independence (CVA-62) Home away from home for awhile for this sailor, Mail landed directly, we also got the mail for the other ships in the group then had to 'high-line' it to them. If you click and look close you can see teh arresting gear (cables, they are steel woven cables about 2" in diameter).

Today's brilliant entry...... (LOL)


Ah, HOW time drags waiting for mail call. Aboard ship that was the most exciting time when the arrested the mail Cod. (landed the mail plane). There are three the cables across the aft flight deck of an air craft carrier. They are called the arresting gear. Every Navy plane has a hook built into the tail section. They land with the hook down and the hook (hopefully) catches one of the three cables. These cables are adjusted to accept the plane coming aboard. They are ‘spring-loaded’. IT is called arresting a plane. There are TV’s all over the ship and a camera picking up every plane that lands. Mail is VERY important and it doesn’t take long for the news to be out, we have mail aboard.
Now since I have been mailing out books, I am amazed how long some packages take as compared to others. Some arrive within four days, others a month. These books are mailed media mail, which is lower cost (approx $2.50). It is not a priority mail so it can be delayed. Thanks for your patience. The books to KY,CA, and NE, have caused the longest delays. I am sorry. Could be the Ice & snow in KY & NE. But there is CA, well we do call it snail mail, and the snow lies between here and there (ah ha!). I do thank you guys for ordering the books.
Each book I write requires me at least two proofs. Each proof shipped from CA is charged $13.95 for shipping alone. Shipping has gone up, therefore Media Mail is my only recourse. Please be patient with me. Lucy and Ora have waited seemingly months, for theirs to arrive. Sorry ladies, I appreciate your patience.
Now I really enjoyed writing Sticky and Rags. It was funny as I went along both books, I had no idea how they would end. But this New book, ‘Gracefully Grasping for Dignity’ I have learned a world’s worth of facts, from life alone and from you guys in the world of BLOG. Everyone knows a wonderful, funny or tragic story about Seniors. This one is short, but a real learning process.
I just read my Cousin Ken’s column. He addressed Alzheimer’s. Some of you are personally familiar with that disease, I am learning. It attacks mostly old folks and another danger to us Seniors.
Side note: did you go to Sal’s blog from Essex, UK. Did you see the snow? Did not know that much snow was close to London.( I went there from a comment on Lucy’s Blog)
Thank you for stopping by,
Nite Shipslog
PS:
GEORGIA . . . A Georgia State trooper pulled over a pickup on I- 75. The trooper asked: "Got any I.D.?"


The driver replied: "Bout whut?" (That is also realistic Georgia!)

WHAT IS A GRANDPARENT? (Taken from papers written by a class of 8-year-olds):


When they read to us, they don't skip. They don't mind if we ask for the same story over again.


Everybody should try to have a grandmother, especially if you don't have television because they are the only grownups who like to spend time with us.


They know we should have snack time before bed time and they say prayers with us and kiss us even when we've acted bad

3 comments:

Paula said...

I'm just curious about where you store all those books and how you have room to work in your mobile home. I'm sure nosy, aren't I?

jack69 said...

Nah, that ain't nosey Paula. I used to haul a folda boat, two motors, life jackets and all. Since I no longer have that I have plenty of room in what we call the basement. As the supply gets low we order more. WE are close to our mailing address here and when the shipment comes in they call us. Gives us a chance to have breakfast or lunch with friends in Eustis.Thanks for asking.

shirl72 said...

You would be surprised how many people ask me about "RAGS" at the (JAM SESSION) Deany said Ken is not a reader, but he read the book because he knew the Author. That is funny.
The BOOK CLUBS ARE CALLING. Ed will be E-mailing you with his address.

Shirl