Saturday, August 17, 2013

Lives…… Angels Unaware

Theanne and Baron… http://www.theanneandbaron.com/

I am enjoying Theanne’s blog entry because of the parallel is so familiar. Her Don was a retired military man, and Sherry followed me around as I dabbled in the Military life.

Theanne listed 5 states they lived in. I had to smile, smiles,  because of one move of ours. I was an E-3 (for you that do not know, that is a VERY LOW rank), especially since I already had about 7 years in service.  I know, I know, not very good, but I did do better.

The USN gave me orders to Arlington, VA, just across the river from D.C. Now at that rank, no one is going to go out of their way to help. They expect you to report to a military base and they will assign you a barracks and a place to stay. BUT if you decide to bring a family, you are on your own, just like anyone moving.

The idea seemed simple, Load our belongings in the car, drive to D.C., get a paper and find an apartment. (Hint here,The largest paper I had  ever seen was the Charlotte Observer. Three sections 24 pages. Two pages of want ads.)

With everything we owned in the trunk and back seat, we drove into town. I bought a Washington Post. The paper was about 2” thick with 25 pages of rental ads. I had no idea where they were. I was in shock. We were sitting in a parking lot trying to figure what to do as we looked at the paper.

GOD (evidently) sent a soldier by who asked, “Having a problem?”

That was an understatement. Knowing we were out of our league, he took us back to his apartment. He called his office at the pentagon saying he would be late. Then he explained about rental agents, leases (which I had never heard of) and ended with, a three month lease is near impossible, you are not going to do this by yourself, get an agent.

We did. By evening we had a furnished apartment not far from the IBM school I was to attend. BUT…..  if not for an angel (the young soldier), I have no idea what we would have done.

New Folder (2) 072

Sherry and I have always tried to help when we could. We have never considered ourselves angels (well she is, but…). Since that time, when we can assist, WE DO! You will never know the relief when we got into the apartment and sat down. Absorbing how naïve we were.

Ever been one, or met one, An Angel for a misguided soul?

Thanks for coming by the Log.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river.
~Nikita Khrushchev Russian Soviet politician

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

47-Chevy-Fleetline-Aerosedan_DV-10-GG_03

A 1947 Chevy Fleetline Woody! I always loved fender skirts.

9 comments:

Paula said...

Wow God sent that angel along at the right time. I would have been scared to death. Sherry was or is a brave soul, isn't she? Some women would have thrown a hissey fit.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thankfully there are many such angels all around and i've definitely been on the receiving end many times. You all had some very exciting times and I give Sherry credit for following where ever you were sent like that many would have oped to stay put till you got back.

shirl72 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shirl72 said...

I had to delete my first comment.
Made typing errors will try again.

You and Sherry are my angels. You
came to my rescue when I was lost
and not knowing where to turn.
Looked out the Kitchen window and
there was Sherry on the garage
roof and there you were. You were getting the house ready to sale.
You both were my Angels and I am thankful.

Chatty Crone said...

That was an angel - you two were blessed - apartments in Boston are still where you have to get a lease manager. My son just went through that. And yes I have had an angel friend who has held me up now since 1978, she is a dear dear dear friend.
sandie

Jackie said...

So thankful The Lord sent this angel unaware to you and Sherry. So very thankful....

TARYTERRE said...

An angel in disguise is always a blessing to be sure.

Woody said...

That 1947 Fleetline Woody is impressive !!!!!!!!

Louis la Vache said...

Great story, Jack!

As Woody wrote, that '47 Fleetline is indeed impressive!