Friday, July 21, 2017

An OLD man, Lost in space the delayed entry



Little Known Facts:
1.    "Go," is the shortest complete sentence in the English language.
2.    The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.  (No wonder women rebelled at all the rules set up by ignorant men.)
3.    The term "the whole 9 yards" came from WWII fighter pilots in the South Pacific. When arming their airplanes on the ground, the .50 caliber machine gun ammo belts measured exactly 27 feet, before being loaded into the fuselage. If the pilots fired all their ammo at a target, it got "the whole 9 yards."
This is a blog entry to replace the one I evidently sent off into outer space.  If I sent it to someone in an e-mail, please send it back. LOL I remember distinctly writing it,….,….,…., OR DO I? I am beginning to wonder about myself.


I am sure you have heard, or read the joke about the senior citizen who was going to mail  a letter and as she walked out thru the kitchen noticed she needed to wash a few dishes.  She reached under the cabinet and remembered she had used the last of the dish-washing detergent. As she went to write it on her ‘to get’ list she looked out the window and noticed the flowers needed some water. She went out took the hose, turned the water on and walked over toward the flowers and stopped to fill the bird bath. AT that moment she thought about a bird feeder she had meant to hang up. Turned off the water and went looking for the feeder…… Did the letter get mailed?  Not today!


 (The rest of us will only do it once!)

NOW, that STUFF is happening to me.  I went out to look for a clue on the roof next door that might indicate a leak. I looked on the roof, then went inside. I looked in a closet beside the chimney and it was loaded with mold. There was no ceiling in the closet, it had been used as access to the attic. Long story short. I spent the day closing off the hole and insulating it after using Mold killer cleaner to clean the closet. It took all day.


When I walked in for dinner, Sherry asked, “Did you get the roof fixed?” NOPE, I got side tracked.  Twice during the job I came outside, looked dumb and wondered why I had come outside. 


So yep, I am old. (Just when I typed that I remembered what my ‘lost’ blog entry was about). Yesterday, I told Stella I was going to SETTLE DOWN when I got old and she looked at me like a cow looking at a new gate and said, “Grandpa, YOU ARE OLD!”

Goodnite Shipslog

                                         1957 Ford Police car

10 comments:

Paula said...

Since you wrote about mold I have a question. The house behind my house is several years newer then my house. It has started molding on the outside. I see they have attempted to solve the problem by painting the house army green. Now that wouldn't do it for me, I would want to know the reason because that isn't right. Something must have not been built correctly. I do know I see some mobile homes with mold now days too. I would like to know the answer to this question. I hope that mold doesn't hop the fence onto my house.

betty said...

We need to create something that we can hang around our heads that has a pad of paper and a pen so we can write down what we are attempting to do so we don't get side tracked. I still get to work on time, so I do know at least I got that in my schedule as something that must be done; otherwise, I'm hit and miss as I go from room to room wondering why I'm going room to room.

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I could go on forever like you described, going from one job to the next and never completing the one I set out to get done! Ha ! The joys of doing what we want when we want to. Retirement has is's advantages but I'm never on schedule like I used to be. But still I'm not complaining. What needs to be eventually does get done. It's a bit encouraging to see there are some young folks that have the same problem. They call it overload.

Unknown said...

Did you hear about the senior lady who bragged she wasn't that forgetful yet.
"Thankfully, I'm not that forgetful yet--knock on wood. Oh, someone's at the door!"

Jimmy's Journal said...

I can't begin to tell you the number of times I completed an entire entry and forgot to save it. I hope they put all of us in the same "home".

Jimmy

Mevely317 said...

Ah, Stella's comment made me chuckle. A h/s classmate on FB commented recently: "Remember when we thought anyone over 40 was OLD?"

Don't fear your memory, m'friend. I'm afraid we all do it ... and now, there's good reason (or rationale, however you prefer... HA).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2015/01/22/yes-walking-through-a-doorway-really-does-make-you-forget-heres-why/#6521568e59c6

Dar said...

While prepping for todays cookout this afternoon, I stood with the refrigerator door open wondering what it was that I was after......finally remembered it was the BBQ sauce I made....don't worry Jack, it happens to all of us sooner or later. I tell everyone I have a great memory, it's just very short. I hate it too.
love n' hugs from up north where it's too hot to do a thing outside. Storms are a brewin'

shirl72 said...

Good reading...I am like the two ladies sitting in their rocking chairs.
I am going to stay safe...but I find it hard just to sit...

TARYTERRE said...

out of the mouths of babes. stella knew what to say. even though it is hard to swallow from a seniors point of view.

Lisa said...

You just described my everyday. I have to stop and do what I just thought about doing or I will forget to do it. That leads to incidents like you just described. I can clean the whole house while I was only taking the clothes from the laundry room to the closet.

Catching up
Lisa