Tuesday, December 19, 2017

The hat




Tonight’s Historical Photo:
 The second Class saloon in Alaska during the Gold rush. It was owned by Wyatt Earp and his wife.

Tues nite:
Lisa mentioned my hat.  I loved that hat. I have had many compliments on that hat.

It is a Greek Captain’s Hat or sometime referred to as simply A Greek Sailor’s hat. My first Greek Hat was bought on sale for $20 at a closeout in Mystic Harbor, Connecticut. A beautiful seaport and Sea Museum. I fell in love with it. I wore it for many years.
Then we were in Central Florida near Bradenton. Camping in a state park along with my sister and her hubby. Saturdays (and other days) the girls would haunt the thrift shops. Sherry came in with a beautiful solid wool Greek Captains hat. It had cost 80 cents. Problem it was way too big.  I had searched for Greek hats and knew the better ones were near $100.00. Kat said, “Jack can make it fit, he can do anything.” Loved that girl. LOL 



I figured a way to measure and cut a pie shape section out of the top and band, and put it back together. Perfect. There is not another like it. The shoulders were about 3/8 of an inch wider than my size hat would have been. I am smiling. I wore it to dinner one evening at Tarpon Springs, FL. Tarpon is an old Florida Greek port.


 (This is one of the hats from the Greek Hat store. I think it looks like a kid's pancake hat. hahaha)
A guy stopped me and asked if I would mind him taking a picture with the Greek boats in the back ground. Of course I was flattered and posed. I have been stopped many times and accepted compliments on the hat.

The Cochlear Implants put a stop to hats. The receivers are constantly moved off center and I go deaf. I miss the hat. I still have folks say, “I didn’t know you without the hat.”
I have ordered 2 or 3 from the Greek hat store, but NONE come close to the Thrift store hat, much cheaper made.
My sister in law asked, “Do you sleep in that hat?”  LOL Actually I removed it in church and bed, that is about all. LOL I am still working on a way to wear the hat, I hope I find it, because it is sort of a trademark, and I like that.
Thanks for asking Lisa.
Nite Shipslog

…AN OLD FARMER'S WORDS OF WISDOM...
ALWAYS DRINK UPSTREAM
FROM THE HERD.
********   ************   ************
     This could be a 47 or 48. My 48 wasn't this cool!


7 comments:

betty said...

You do look good in the gat, Jack. Hope you find a way to make it work to continue to wear one.

Betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Your hat is a trademark for you. I never realized it was a Greek sailors hat. Hope you find a way to make it work.

Chatty Crone said...

Yes that hat is good - maybe you just need a bigger one - that won't move your implants. I didn't know that W. Earp even went to Alaska let alone own a salon there!
MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Sandie

Lisa said...

You know I loved this.
I like the hat. When your in town and we are out, I see men I think might be you from behind. But then I realize its not when I do not see Sherry or the hat! Haha.
This was a great story. Your right, It is your trademark. I hope you find a way to wear it around the ear thingys.

From rainy Gtown
Lisa

Dar said...

When we met you at the park, we all loved your sailor cap, as Sy called it. He asked if you were a captain. I was impressed with his question, as young as he was at the time. Your hat IS your trademark. I do hope you can figure a way to make it work again. There's just gotta be a way.
As for the farmers comment, he's soooo wise., or least boil the heck outa it.
love n' hugs from up north where we are getting piled with a white Christmas. I will be seeing the working end of a shovel in the morning.

TARYTERRE said...

a shame the cochlear implants put a stop to hats for you. trademark or not it's better to hear than wear it.

Mevely317 said...

Oh, I'd not considered the implants!
It's difficult to imagine you without your trademark ... but I'm betting it won't be long before you find a way around that obstacle! If anyone can ....