Friday, December 29, 2017

Too good to be true, Usually is, TOO GOOD to be real!



 Historical Photo:


 Cool picture of the Eiffel Tower in 1928

 But this is today"
A few years ago my brother in law Jim called us with a terrible announcement. Jack, the Doctor just gave me a death sentence, I have Esophageal Cancer. I need prayer and any help. I am planning to beat this.
You could have pushed me over with a feather. Jim was a successful engineer. Healthy as a horse, no medications and blood work was that of a sixteen year old. The whole family expected Jim to bury us all. On top of his successes, he was a great guy. He helped take care of my mama until she died.
The % of survivors of esophageal cancer was in the teens %.  I loved Jim like a brother. He and Shirl had a great marriage. Jim’s love was collecting Studebakers. Actually Jim collected EVERYTHNG! Antique toys, Avon, cars, hubcaps and at times Junk.
After we hung up from the call I went to the net. His chances were slim. BUT I ran across something. An $89.00 money back cancer cure. WHAT? Yep from Canada. There was a sure fire, money back guarantee.  It had breath taking testimonies.  
I despise people who prey on someone with no hope. I wondered how many people said, what the heck it is just $80. Why not. Of course I found other sites saying this was a FRAUD.
But since then I have seen:
Take this and never forget a thing!  Sure and it doesn’t snow in Wisconsin.
Look 20 years younger in 20 minutes!.. Right on, no problem.
Lose 150 lbs of ugly fat in just two months. (that must mean shoot your hubby)
Regrow you hair in 20 days, We know it is hard to believe.
     (don’t be suckered into that, I didn’t get a sprig!)
Regain your youthful beauty in 20 days? (what if you wuz ugly?)
 Dr. Blaylock: The Root Cause of Aging (and How You Can Stop It!)
(Everybody knows, that you can stop aging by shooting yourself!) 

The list goes on and on. We lost Jim. His chances weren’t good from the beginning. We miss him. Shirl especially, she expected them to grow old together.
Con artists are just that. In person or in print, they gain your confidence, then get your money. They laugh all the way to the bank at your (our) gullibility.
A person dying may grasp at the smallest possibility, saying what have I got to lose. What is $89 when you are dying?
It is a sick,mean person, who preys on desperate folk.

Nite Shipslog
Ps: APHORISM : A SHORT,CLEVER POINTED SENTENCE
i.e.
Money can't buy happiness ...
but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Cadillac than in a Yugo.

*************
Another person carrying Fishing too far. LOL

9 comments:

Mevely317 said...

I hope there's a special sort of Hell for folks who prey on others misfortunes. I wonder if, in a twisted sort of way, they're encouraged by the media's attention.

You're so right about desperation clouding one's better judgement. My best friend's ex-significant-other (it's complicated) suffered prior to his death ... but repeatedly fell for several of these 'miracle' potions instead of following his doctors' advice.

Chatty Crone said...

I am not sure where this came from - but I agree 100%. How can anyone prey on sick people, children, and the elderly - it is beyond me. I am sorry about your sister's husband - the loss of a great friend. sandie

betty said...

It is sad that there are schemers like this who take advantage of the elderly, the infirmed, the young ones, etc; and offer a fake cure. Wish there were more government regulations for things like this. Somewhat related to this topic, we got a phone call a few weeks ago from the "IRS" saying there was a warrant for our arrest and we needed to call them immediately. Of course we knew it was a scam so of course we didn't call them. Few weeks later, no one's been knocking at the door :)

betty

TARYTERRE said...

i had a girlfriend dying of cancer who paid one of these cons 10,000 dollars to take the cancer out of her. needless to say it didn't work and she died. so sad.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It doesn't matter if its cancer or heart trouble, I believe that when out time is up...there's nothing we can do. Sure we can try to prevent certain things by leading a healthy lifestyle, but truly if it is our time, it doesn't matter. No con artist is going to make me believe any different.

Glenda said...

Those predators are out there, we who are not suspicious are prone to believe, sad but true.
On another note, it's the eve of a New Year, one that will certainly bring some happiness, some sadness, but more tha anything an opportunity to begin anew....hugs from Okeechobee!

Glenda said...

p.s.
Somewhere in my "stuff" is a framed quote "Money may not buy happiness but...
it buys the kind of misery you can enjoy"! Thought of that while reading your entry, then, true to form FORGOT it when my brain moved on to the next topic. Happy New Year :)

shirl72 said...

Lot of good comments

Rick Watson said...

No such thing as a free lunch. Nor cheap cancer cures. I wonder how many kids bought the Charles Atlas kit when we were kids?