Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Fads

Today’s Automobile:

 1968 Pony GTO


Just some background:

A fad or trend is any form of collective behavior that develops within a culture, a generation or social group in which a group of people enthusiastically follow an impulse for a short period of time.

Now remember I have been around a long time so I remember a FEW fads. I was NOT in the roaring 20s but I was a teen in what some call the fabulous 50s. The first Fad I remember was ‘pegged pants’. If you could afford them they were available by design, but we Boys would improvise and sorta fold their jeans over and roll them up a roll.

The next was the thin belts with the pants lower than normal and it was called ‘Snake Hips’. Now don’t confuse that with the one a few years back that was called jailin’ or pants on the ground.

Then the Flat Top hair cut caught on for a few years.



But for sure the one that held on the longest was the ‘Duck’s  Tail’


I don’t remember too many girl’s fads except ‘Bobby Socks’ and the Pony Tail. 

Oh yes, my girl just mentioned Crinolines, yep I definitely remember them! They sure spread Sherry's dress out!

Give us some you remember!

Nite Shipslog

PS:

3 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I remember the bobby socks and crinolines. I used to put on 3 or 4 at a time. I loved the rock and roll music we danced to. I had a DA hair cut too. It wasn't just for the boys. We used records and a record player and I got my first transistor radio. Those were fun days growing up in the 50's and watched Dick Clark and the Mouseketeers on TV after school.

Mevely317 said...

How fun!
Pretty sure I was born 10 years too late, b/c I loved the 50's fashions. Unfortunately, because I had no sisters or wiser girlfriends to 'show me the ropes' I was usually the last to catch on. For instance? So proud of my new saddle shoes and bobby socks on the first day of 6th grade. No-one told me THEY were o-u-t, so I was the butt of jokes. One boy even deliberately walked over my shoes.
The only fad I wholeheartedly embraced were bell bottoms.

Thankfully, I don't much care about following fads anymore.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I wonder ... was it ever fashionable to be nice? Mediaeval times perhaps with knights?

"A knyght ther was, and that a worthy man,
That fro the tyme that he first bigan
To riden out, he loved chivalrie,
Trouthe and honour, fredom and curteisie." (Chaucer - Lines 43-46)

God bless.